Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Three days, three interviews. I have rarely felt so frazzled.
The one I want (I really really want) will let me know on Monday. My second choice will let me know sometime next week. The last one has already offered me the job.
Awkward...

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5006509, member: 21629"]Either free coffee or PPE. :smile:
They should supply but they don't.

EDIT: after recent digging in wardrobe hat and gloves have been found.[/QUOTE]
Coffee it is then.

For @Hill Wimp
20171020_223014.jpg

The silly sod is sitting there with his tongue out :rolleyes:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Eddystone Lighthouse.
Eddystone2.jpg
I sailed past long ago when it was manned and without a helipad. A fantastic sight. Here's an earlier version.

The king of France had it right....

Winstanley's lighthouse[edit]
170px-Eddystone_lighthouse00.jpg
Winstanley's lighthouse, as modified in 1699
The first lighthouse on Eddystone Rocks was an octagonal wooden structure built by Henry Winstanley. The lighthouse was also the first recorded instance of an offshore lighthouse.[6] Construction started in 1696 and the light was lit on 14 November 1698. During construction, a French privateer took Winstanley prisoner and destroyed the work done so far on the foundations, causing Louis XIV to order Winstanley's release with the words "France is at war with England, not with humanity".[5]

The lighthouse survived its first winter but was in need of repair, and was subsequently changed to a dodecagonal (12 sided) stone clad exterior on a timber framed construction with an octagonal top section as can be seen in the later drawings or paintings, one of which is reproduced here. This gives rise to the claims that there have been five lighthouses on Eddystone Rock. Winstanley's tower lasted until the Great Storm of 1703 erased almost all trace on 27 November. Winstanley was on the lighthouse, completing additions to the structure. No trace was found of him, or of the other five men in the lighthouse.[8][9]

The cost of construction and five years' maintenance totalled £7,814 7s.6d, during which time dues totalling £4,721 19s.3d had been collected at one penny per ton from passing vessels.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What you gonna do when it gets cold?
Light it earlier in the day. :becool:

Top Bottom