Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Indeed, as far as the Rhine.

Sorry, we were talking about Genghis Khan, weren't we.

Once I had to do a presentation about Carpentry and I discovered that the trade of 'Cabinet maker' was first recognised as the Great Kahn charged into Europe. I was never able to work out why the Germans looked at the massed armies of the Kahn charging towards them and despoiling everything in their path, and decided the solution was making cupboards...

MikeG

Guru
I'm reading a book called The Village Carpenter at the moment (again). It's the memoirs of a Victorian carpenter, and it's fascinating. The difference between a carpenter and a joiner? Carpenters never used glue. Maybe the Germans had thought of some cunning adhesive-based defense against hordes of horsemen.

D

Deleted member 1258

Once I had to do a presentation about Carpentry and I discovered that the trade of 'Cabinet maker' was first recognised as the Great Kahn charged into Europe. I was never able to work out why the Germans looked at the massed armies of the Kahn charging towards them and despoiling everything in their path, and decided the solution was making cupboards...

Maybe the original Cabinet maker's made wooden stockades and other defensive woodwork.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The Germans clearly invented the War Cabinet.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm reading a book called The Village Carpenter at the moment (again). It's the memoirs of a Victorian carpenter, and it's fascinating. The difference between a carpenter and a joiner? Carpenters never used glue. Maybe the Germans had thought of some cunning adhesive-based defense against hordes of horsemen.
Well you see they had containers that needed the lids removing before reusing them. Where better than at the tables they'd just made?

I've just had a couple of raspberry jelly squares to soothe my throat. Translation for across the pond jello!

perplexed

Guru
My bin was emptied most satisfactorily.

There was a minor crisis in the retrieval act however. I had reversed my car down the drive slightly further than normal. This necessitated the bin having to wait half way down the drive until I next took the car out, enabling my wife to then shimmy the bin through the resulting gap betwixt car and railing.

All is well now.

Top Bottom