Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 5520557, member: 9609"]It is something that I have taken notice of for quite some time - when there is adverse weather the vehicle stuck in the hedge or upside down in the field is very often the 4x4
My guess is they are so good at going forward with all wheel drive plus all the electronic traction control gizmos that the driver is less aware the road surface is slippery. Unfortunately when it comes to bends the tech still can't over rule the laws of physics.[/QUOTE]

I think the Evoque is 2wd like every other car, but in snow you switch off the wizzardry button. A colleague drove in last march quite happily in her Masaratti. It has a snow button

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
From here it's hard to imagine that kind of temperature. The outright record for my part of the world is -26.1 and that was way back in the 1980s.
I think mine was -33C in 1905, but that doesn't count wind chill factor, in either case. When I was at work, there was hardly anyone there. As a shuttle driver, I just drove around all day, mostly drinking tea.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5520610, member: 9609"]hmmm, nearly all vehicles have stupidly over wide tyres on now, and if over wide tyres limited adhesion how do they propel themselves forward so well?
I still think in a more traditional car (with traditional diff driving on mostly one wheel) you became aware the road surface was slippy sooner. than in a high tech 4x4 that s very nearly giving traction to all 4 wheels at one.[/QUOTE]
Back in the 80s a mate had a Camero with a 'breathed on' engine and stupidly wide 12" 'General Grabber' tyres, immensely quick in the dry (in a straight line) it'd just aquaplane like crazy in the rain. I was in it once and we were driving (well he was) on a dual carriageway at a steady 60mph when suddenly the back end went 3 foot or so sideways,
Andy reckoned it did this all the time. :eek: :ohmy:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Back in the 80s a mate had a Camero with a 'breathed on' engine and stupidly wide 12" 'General Grabber' tyres, immensely quick in the dry (in a straight line) it'd just aquaplane like crazy in the rain. I was in it once and we were driving (well he was) on a dual carriageway at a steady 60mph when suddenly the back end went 3 foot or so sideways,
Andy reckoned it did this all the time. :eek: :ohmy:
Rear wheel drive pretty bad in slick too. I have the Murano in front wheel only mode.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think mine was -33C in 1905, but that doesn't count wind chill factor, in either case. When I was at work, there was hardly anyone there. As a shuttle driver, I just drove around all day, mostly drinking tea.
I hear you're due to have a big change to plus figures over the next few days. I imagine that'll create its own problems with the rapid thaw?

Not quite as chilly here. -4C when I had to chauffeur my brother earlier. The windscreen was frozen inside and out.

The room just jumped while writing this. :laugh: Quite a big blasting session over at Sharpstones quarry.

Top Bottom