Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've wondered about this with my daughter when she's doing a grading at martial arts. On one hand she wants us there for support - just knowing we are there; and on the other hand not wanting to perform in front of us. But then she's extremely uncomfortable standing in front of anyone to perform/present, etc. She hates the attention. Her comments this morning before school while watching the Tour of Slovenia on the TV were eye-opening:

Daughter: 'Why would anyone want to win the race?'
Me: 'To be the best.'
Daughter: 'Why do they want to be the best? Aren't they happy taking part? Why do they have to be better than everyone?'
Me: 'They're proving to themselves that they are the best cyclist. Everyone's different. We want different things. Professional cyclists race for their job, so they get paid for it and when they win they know they are the best. They want to be the best.'
Daughter: 'I don't want to be best. I don't know if I want to race if people are like that.'

She is only 8. In last season's CX races for Notts and Derbys she was 9th girl and 11th in her category. After the above conversation, I'm not even sure she'll want to take part this year, never mind work to rank higher. :sad:
Perhaps she's got the right idea, I enjoy cycling lots now that I'm not competing.

I've wondered about this with my daughter when she's doing a grading at martial arts. On one hand she wants us there for support - just knowing we are there; and on the other hand not wanting to perform in front of us. But then she's extremely uncomfortable standing in front of anyone to perform/present, etc. She hates the attention. Her comments this morning before school while watching the Tour of Slovenia on the TV were eye-opening:

Daughter: 'Why do they want to be the best? Aren't they happy taking part? Why do they have to be better than everyone?'
Me: 'They're proving to themselves that they are the best cyclist. Everyone's different. We want different things. Professional cyclists race for their job, so they get paid for it and when they win they know they are the best. They want to be the best.'
Daughter: 'I don't want to be best. I don't know if I want to race if people are like that.'

She is only 8. In last season's CX races for Notts and Derbys she was 9th girl and 11th in her category. After the above conversation, I'm not even sure she'll want to take part this year, never mind work to rank higher. :sad:

I was (and still am) very competitive, but you win some, you lose some. When fencing, I loved to try and outwit my opponent - there's real satisfaction when you get it right and score a hit. And win the bout. Because I was that much shorter than everyone else, I had to be creative.

Mind, I was lucky to be good enough to fence at a pretty high standard. I didn't mind the audience - you just learn to dial it out - it was just the parent thing in my case. I think it was enjoying being parent-free.

Bottom line is, everyone's different.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Perhaps you could tell her to always try to do the best she can for herself. She wants to be good, she sounds like she doesn't lack competitiveness but she doesn't see it as being against other people.

I am very much of the same mindset as your daughter.

Actually I thought that was the point of sports: be as good as you can be and encourage others to do the same. Enjoy the support of others and congratulate those who came first, but also those who gave it their all and came last. What put me off sport was the competitiveness, and the abuse that the "weak" team members received.

I remember hearing about a camp in the US where they have a two day canoeing 'race' for the oldest kids. They make sure that every team gets a big welcome and can make a triumphant entry to the camp, no matter if they're first or arrive a day 'late': the whole camp turns out to cheer. To me that's what sports should look like.

Last edited:
Morning . It was very sunny first thing but it has clouded over a bit .

I have been off air for a while . My tablet has played up again .

I went down to see the steam engine yesterday. It was a Black 5.

In the evening I went out for a ride with my friends despite having another migraine . I took some parrots and some food and drink before I set off. It helped, but didn't make the ride any easier as we went along a bumpy cycle track . I've gone right off mountain bikes .

Top Bottom