Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is my latest bike. It is a bit tall in the saddle but It went well the other day when I took it out . I have been cleaning it up a bit since the picture was taken .

Attachments

• IMGP0302.JPG
    IMGP0302.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 9

yello

re competitive and being the best (wonderful, thoughtful post BTW @LeetleGreyCells , not mundane at all) , notions of competition have nearly ruined my enjoyment of a number of sports.

I've played and enjoyed football, golf, squash and with each gone through 'why am I doing this?' doubts... simply because I don't play to win and other reasons seem less obvious. Cycling too has caused me issues and I've had to back off and find my way back to somewhere I'm happy to be.

I think the problem is that we lose sight of our own reasons for doing something in the midst of a sea of competition. Perhaps it's a lack of self confidence - we begin to question own motivation, as if it's somehow not enough.

For myself, I've had to refocus, stop looking at the competitors (who almost by definition make the most noise, or have the most noise made around them) and look instead to those that simply take part (and there are loads of such people) and find your solace and encouragement there.

Even in competitions, there are 'competitors' who have no ambition to win. They simply take part because they enjoy it and want to do their best for themselves. I'm not such a person as it happens. I'm still the kid that likes to play football for no other reason than he likes to kick a football about!

In short, I feel that it's all too easy to lose sight of yourself and be seduced by other people's motivations - in sport and in life.

Now back to the mundane! It's a bit muggy here today.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
re competitive and being the best (wonderful, thoughtful post BTW @LeetleGreyCells , not mundane at all) , notions of competition have nearly ruined my enjoyment of a number of sports.

I've played and enjoyed football, golf, squash and with each gone through 'why am I doing this?' doubts... simply because I don't play to win and other reasons seem less obvious. Cycling too has caused me issues and I've had to back off and find my way back to somewhere I'm happy to be.

I think the problem is that we lose sight of our own reasons for doing something in the midst of a sea of competition. Perhaps it's a lack of self confidence - we begin to question own motivation, as if it's somehow not enough.

For myself, I've had to refocus, stop looking at the competitors (who almost by definition make the most noise, or have the most noise made around them) and look instead to those that simply take part (and there are loads of such people) and find your solace and encouragement there.

Even in competitions, there are 'competitors' who have no ambition to win. They simply take part because they enjoy it and want to do their best for themselves. I'm not such a person as it happens. I'm still the kid that likes to play football for no other reason than he likes to kick a football about!

In short, I feel that it's all too easy to lose sight of yourself and be seduced by other people's motivations - in sport and in life.

Now back to the mundane! It's a bit muggy here today.
When both kids were racing CX last year, we gave them two goals: 1) Complete the race; 2) try and get a better time than you did in your last race. That’s it. As I mentioned, my daughter came 11th overall in her category. My son came last in 7 races out of 10. We made a big fuss over them for completing the race each time, and for taking part in every race. They both got medals for attending all 10 races which they were very happy with. My daughter got a medal too for being 9th girl. Very proud that they completed each and every race. I want them to compete again next season as it gives them targets, something to aim for i.e. completing the races. Plus it keeps them fit and riding their bikes. But that’s just a bonus.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I'm told it's made in the Netherlands.

I wondered if they'd originally sent it to the UK as a joke, but we still haven't got it yet...

If I can't get it after Brexit (I can't think the Dutch will be an alternative market) I have to try getting Vegemite.

It's Unilever. They'll be keen to supply you, even if they have to make it in the UK.

But Bovril is better (also Unilever)

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I can't decide whether or not to buy this t shirt off fleabay. It's £16.45.
View attachment 471625
Yes or no folks?:scratch:

No

Er why not?

What about these trainers,reduced from 70 to 30 quid?

View attachment 471626

Or these ones :becool:at a mere 95 quid?

View attachment 471627
View attachment 471628

No

Top Bottom