Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fabia is on the list as is the fabia estate, yeh no street cred with that one. Wouldn't mind the Monte Carlo edition, but the insurance goes up.

Local garage has a low miles Polo 1.2 SE at the top wnd of his budget.

TBH, most of the cars we saw yesterday had more scratches and chips than my 17 year old Nissan with 130k miles on the clock. Its either me thats the odd ball with looking after his car....:blink:

I wouldn't quite say NO street cred - just a classic case of people generally judging a book by its cover. Quietly competent is how I'd describe Skodas. :biggrin:

You're not an oddball - my 17 year old Fabia (which, incidentally *is* an estate) still looks in really good nick as well. It's not clean though - out here it's almost impossible to keep a car clean.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
How the hell did Lance Stroll go from P17 to P6 without anyone noticing? :ohmy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wouldn't quite say NO street cred - just a classic case of people generally judging a book by its cover. Quietly competent is how I'd describe Skodas. :biggrin:

You're not an oddball - my 17 year old Fabia (which, incidentally *is* an estate) still looks in really good nick as well. It's not clean though - out here it's almost impossible to keep a car clean.

Well, we might just have found a quandry. Went to two local garages. Saw a 1.2 TSI Polo SE (100bhp) in white, and then a 1.2 TSI Fabia Monte Carlo (110 bhp turbo) in red and black.

Insurance is £1600 a year for the Polo, £1500 for the Fabia (cheaper than my son thought for both). The Fabia is 1.5 seconds quicker to 60, and is sporty looking. Both are the same price, both in excellent condition, although the Fabia has a gap in MOT history, and the Polo advisories on brakes on a 15 plate car. Its very close as the Polo was inside and clean, the Fabia outside and dusty.

The Fabia is winning at the minute as the infotainment is 'unlocked' - he'd have to pay VW to unlock the phone link, and the inside is very nice - lovely seats, and a panoramic roof.

Last edited:
Well, we might just have found a quandry. Went to two local garages. Saw a 1.2 TSI Polo SE (100bhp) in white, and then a 1.2 TSI Fabia Monte Carlo (110 bhp turbo) in red and black.

That Fabia is what I'm after - although I wouldn't object to going one spec level down. My local dealership offered me one earlier this year (in red and black), but as I'd just had major heating works done, it was way out of budget. :cry:

They're really eye catching cars and fun to drive. Plus the emissions mean you aren't charged in ULEZ - which is my reason for looking at making a change. And I think it's only £20 for a year's VED...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Is this yours son's first car? If so to me it's false economy, let him have a banger for 12 months, when he scrapes, dints, rolls it there's less loss & you could if nobody else is involved just scrap it. Then after 12 months when he's actually learnt to drive & not just pass a test buy him a far better car he will also have 12 months NCD (hopefully)

fossyant

That Fabia is what I'm after - although I wouldn't object to going one spec level down. My local dealership offered me one earlier this year (in red and black), but as I'd just had major heating works done, it was way out of budget. :cry:

They're really eye catching cars and fun to drive. Plus the emissions mean you aren't charged in ULEZ - which is my reason for looking at making a change. And I think it's only £20 for a year's VED...

Yeh both are £20. Corresponding with my wife via text, as she is in Wales - she's bothered about 'miles' - it's not an issue if the car itself is in excellent shape.

fossyant

Is this yours son's first car? If so to me it's false economy, let him have a banger for 12 months, when he scrapes, dints, rolls it there's less loss & you could if nobody else is involved just scrap it. Then after 12 months when he's actually learnt to drive & not just pass a test buy him a far better car he will also have 12 months NCD (hopefully)

Have you tried to insure a banger ? My son has gone for quotes on my 17 year old Nissan (it's no banger, but itsn't worth anything) - £4k for a car worth £1k... it's insane these days. PS he will be in a position to pay for bangs and stuff as he has an apprenticeship starting in Sept. The deal was we'd get him a car with the 'baby bond' money.

Have you tried to insure a banger ? My son has gone for quotes on my 17 year old Nissan (it's no banger, but itsn't worth anything) - £4k for a car worth £1k... it's insane these days. PS he will be in a position to pay for bangs and stuff as he has an apprenticeship starting in Sept. The deal was we'd get him a car with the 'baby bond' money.

It's all go on the education front at Chez @fossyant isn't it?

D

Deleted member 26715

But is it a 1.0L or 1.2L?

Top Bottom