Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can you return them? Sounds like a manufacturing defect.
Yes and no ! :wacko: Yes I am returning them and no they are old ones. The thing is that they were given the wrong description. If they had been described as having failts I would have gone for another pair which went cheaply . I expected those to have ended in a bidding war but had only bid .
Some of the faults are from knocks, whilst the fogging of the prisms may be due to smoke .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Yes and no ! :wacko: Yes I am returning them and no they are old ones. The thing is that they were given the wrong description. If they had been described as having failts I would have gone for another pair which went cheaply . I expected those to have ended in a bidding war but had only bid .
Some of the faults are from knocks, whilst the fogging of the prisms may be due to smoke .
I am thinking that the balsam, used like optical resin is today, has gone foggy with age. Balsam was used as cement between lens elements, which sometimes had to be ground separately and cemented together. Used to happen with Leitz lenses when they got old.

Health & safety would have a field day

We had the health and safety inspection last week.

Germans take a more robust approach to H&S: Our 72 seat theatre wouldn't be allowed in Germany today because the stage and auditorium was built out of pine and chipboard, but it is allowed to keep going because it was built before the rules changed. I suspect it would be closed down in the UK, which may come a s a surprise to people who think all H&S is done at an EU level.

Last edited:
I am thinking that the balsam, used like optical resin is today, has gone foggy with age. Balsam was used as cement between lens elements, which sometimes had to be ground separately and cemented together. Used to happen with Leitz lenses when they got old.
The fogging is usually on the prisms which are a solid block. I have managed to clean several pairs of binocs. The difficult bit is if it is between the two prisms which means removing one and then trying to get them back into line without getting double vision .

I'm sure asking the audience to make their way from the FIRE wouldn't panic them ! :wacko:

The word "Fire" is never uttered, for the reason you mention.

Theatres have a fire code word, such as "Mr Sands" so "Mr. Sands is in the bar" would mean that it was getting a bit warm where the drinks were served.

The fire is then assessed. If it is serious enough (In our theatre every fire is serious enough because we don't have a protected auditorium, but a proper theatre has masses of fireproof doors and walls) then the performance is stopped, and the audience is told there are technical difficulties and asked to follow the directions of staff and to wait outside the building.

In a proper theatre, the audience shouldn't know there's a fire until they are outside of the building and they see fire engines arriving. Also in theory a modern theatre should protect the entire audience from a raging inferno for nearly an hour.

PS @Illaveago: if you are in a theatre and get told there's a technical problem and you need to leave, please don't now shout "They're lying to you: It's a fire..."

classic33

Leg End Member
The word "Fire" is never uttered, for the reason you mention.

Theatres have a fire code word, such as "Mr Sands" so "Mr. Sands is in the bar" would mean that it was getting a bit warm where the drinks were served.

The fire is then assessed. If it is serious enough (In our theatre every fire is serious enough because we don't have a protected auditorium, but a proper theatre has masses of fireproof doors and walls) then the performance is stopped, and the audience is told there are technical difficulties and asked to follow the directions of staff and to wait outside the building.

In a proper theatre, the audience shouldn't know there's a fire until they are outside of the building and they see fire engines arriving. Also in theory a modern theatre should protect the entire audience from a raging inferno for nearly an hour.

PS @Illaveago: if you are in a theatre and get told there's a technical problem and you need to leave, please don't now shout "They're lying to you: It's a fire..."
As if he'd do that!

He'd shout "They're shutting the bar"!

Top Bottom