Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bit of a downer tonight after what happened at Spa earlier. Have seen the footage, and it's horrific - think Marco Simoncelli and you kind of get the idea.

D

Deleted member 1258

Bit of a downer tonight after what happened at Spa earlier. Have seen the footage, and it's horrific - think Marco Simoncelli and you kind of get the idea.

I've heard the sad news though I don't know any details.

I've heard the sad news though I don't know any details.

The lad in question lost it on the climb up from Eau Rouge to Radaillon and hit the barriers. In itself it wouldn't have been a major issue, but it was only the second lap of the race, the cars were tightly bunched and accelerating up the hill. Car rebounded off the barriers and broadside into the oncoming traffic. The lad who t-boned him had nowhere else to go.

Absolutely horrific incident.

Cuts me even more as I spent five years doing strength of materials research in a bid to make single seater cars more resilient to side impacts. Alas, at the speeds involved in today's incident, even with the best will (and chassis construction) in the world, those kinds of impact are not survivable.

D

Deleted member 1258

The lad in question lost it on the climb up from Eau Rouge to Radaillon and hit the barriers. In itself it wouldn't have been a major issue, but it was only the second lap of the race, the cars were tightly bunched and accelerating up the hill. Car rebounded off the barriers and broadside into the oncoming traffic. The lad who t-boned him had nowhere else to go.

Absolutely horrific incident.

Cuts me even more as I spent five years doing strength of materials research in a bid to make single seater cars more resilient to side impacts. Alas, at the speeds involved in today's incident, even with the best will (and chassis construction) in the world, those kinds of impact are not survivable.

I've been on crash.net reading about him, it sounds like he was a very talented up and coming driver, it's very sad to lose him like that.

https://www.crash.net/championships

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Argh. Getting drowned out by two sets of crappy euro pop at the pool being played on 'phones'.

Why is euro pop so bad, a very good reason for Brexit. :laugh:

Top Bottom