Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Humming and hawing over a Claud Butler hardtail that's up for sale for £35 at the local recycling centre. I had been looking at the top of the range junior Rockrider from Decathlon to use as a bad road / mucky weather bike, but I'd need to replace the whole drivetrain on the Rockrider as its geared far too low for out here, which seems a really silly thing to do with a new bike.

The CB looks like the right size for me but it does need a fair bit of work. Work doesn't bother me - it's a good excuse to learn how to do stuff. Then I could gear it the way I want.

What do you folks think? Worth going to Witchford to have a look?

View attachment 486772
Worth a gander.

Worth a gander.

Maybe... Most of the bikes they have in are either too big for me or BSO. I've always thought if I was patient I'd find a frame and forks that I could build up to my own spec.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find any blurb about the bike, so dunno if it's a good 'un or not...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Humming and hawing over a Claud Butler hardtail that's up for sale for £35 at the local recycling centre. I had been looking at the top of the range junior Rockrider from Decathlon to use as a bad road / mucky weather bike, but I'd need to replace the whole drivetrain on the Rockrider as its geared far too low for out here, which seems a really silly thing to do with a new bike.

The CB looks like the right size for me but it does need a fair bit of work. Work doesn't bother me - it's a good excuse to learn how to do stuff. Then I could gear it the way I want.

What do you folks think? Worth going to Witchford to have a look?

View attachment 486772
Looks very nice. Can't go wrong at 35 pounds.

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe... Most of the bikes they have in are either too big for me or BSO. I've always thought if I was patient I'd find a frame and forks that I could build up to my own spec.

Trouble is, I can't seem to find any blurb about the bike, so dunno if it's a good 'un or not...
Alpina?

Don't think so... This looks like it's got a bit of age to it. Plus, if it's the size I think it is, it's a junior bike. So possibly an older Battle Axe. Wish the photo on the website a) was in focus and b) didn't have camera shake...

Either way, looks like a triple up front and a 6 speed on the back, and twist grip shifters.

Assuming it's worth buying, I'd change the cassette and switch from twist shift to trigger shifters.

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't think so... This looks like it's got a bit of age to it. Plus, if it's the size I think it is, it's a junior bike. So possibly an older Battle Axe. Wish the photo on the website a) was in focus and b) didn't have camera shake...

Either way, looks like a triple up front and a 6 speed on the back, and twist grip shifters.

Assuming it's worth buying, I'd change the cassette and switch from twist shift to trigger shifters.
NeedsBe getting a gander then?

NeedsBe getting a gander then?

Actually, it's a Pinelake.

Doesn't cost me to go and have a look, I suppose. Just need to check if seatpost isn't stuck or if the forks are borked, that sort of thing. If the frame and forks are in good order, might be worth it.

Better than spending nearly £300 on the Rockrider. I'd have to give up the idea of disk brakes though...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member

Doesn't cost me to go and have a look, I suppose. Just need to check if seatpost isn't stuck or if the forks are borked, that sort of thing. If the frame and forks are in good order, might be worth it.

Better than spending nearly £300 on the Rockrider. I'd have to give up the idea of disk brakes though...
Do as a daily workbike though.

Do as a daily workbike though.

Yeah. It'll do for a hack / mucky weather / crappy road surface bike. Assuming it's the right size, of course. I wish the folks at the recycling centre would put the frame sizes on the website - don't take much to measure from the BB to the top of the seat tube...

Looks like the rear derailleur has snapped off and the chain's been unshipped. But that's no biggie.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

It looks like a 'Jump' bike to me, similar to my Saracen 'Blitz' which was great fun bombing down forestry tracks until I came off and bust a collarbone, that then got a loonnng seatpost fitted (600mm plus the fitting from an old post) that I had machined out of seamless alloy tubing so I could ride it as a normal bike.

DSCN0207.JPG

It's really good in snow.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yeah. It'll do for a hack / mucky weather / crappy road surface bike. Assuming it's the right size, of course. I wish the folks at the recycling centre would put the frame sizes on the website - don't take much to measure from the BB to the top of the seat tube...

Looks like the rear derailleur has snapped off and the chain's been unshipped. But that's no biggie.
Save them from mis-describing it, and having someone bring it back.

It looks like a 'Jump' bike to me, similar to my Saracen 'Blitz' which was great fun bombing down forestry tracks until I came off and bust a collarbone, that then got a loonnng seatpost fitted (600mm plus the fitting from an old post) that I had machined out of seamless alloy tubing so I could ride it as a normal bike.

View attachment 486776

It's really good in snow.

That's a really nice looking bike @raleighnut :okay: Bet it's still a blast to ride, long seatpost and all. :smile:

Top Bottom