Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
There is a recipe in Michael Mosley's book that I would like to try - "Crunchy Fish Bites".

I have not got all the ingredients, the one missing is quick-cook polenta (fine oatmeal) Can I use light brown flour instead? I presume that cornmeal is lower in cardboard hydrates :unsure:, but the method would be the same.

Tonights menu is lamb steak with Swedish Spicy Carrots.

I can add the polenta or fine cornmeal to next week's Ocado list. Yesterday's brunch of blueberry pancakes was tasty and filling.

In other new, my most favourite excellent all-purpose "do everything you need" builder/decorator finally visited today to see what needs doing, repair to bedroom ceiling and repair bathroom wall, etc. ^_^ He had a huge backlog after the the Lockdown.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Cornmeal is a fine coating for fish, especially catfish. I seriously wonder if it is lower in carbohydrates, though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There is a recipe in Michael Mosley's book that I would like to try - "Crunchy Fish Bites".

I have not got all the ingredients, the one missing is quick-cook polenta (fine oatmeal) Can I use light brown flour instead? I presume that cornmeal is lower in cardboard hydrates :unsure:, but the method would be the same.

Tonights menu is lamb steak with Swedish Spicy Carrots.

I can add the polenta or fine cornmeal to next week's Ocado list. Yesterday's brunch of blueberry pancakes was tasty and filling.

In other new, my most favourite excellent all-purpose "do everything you need" builder/decorator finally visited today to see what needs doing, repair to bedroom ceiling and repair bathroom wall, etc. ^_^ He had a huge backlog after the the Lockdown.
I'd think you'd be better using cornflour, one of Maz's favourite dishes is ' Seafood Balti' which involves marinating small pieces of Cod, Prawns and Crabsticks in spices and cornflour then deep frying it, the cornflour turns into a kind of crunchy batter.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
The Red Arrows took off for a practice session. Amazing as we were so close to them. We were literally right at the end of the runway. There were less than 15 cars in a massive field - they had to restrict any access due to safety (not covid).

Had that experience on VE day a few years back by Bournemouth. I couldn't reach my camera in time and a few children were quite upset by the noise.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I'd think you'd be better using cornflour, one of Maz's favourite dishes is ' Seafood Balti' which involves marinating small pieces of Cod, Prawns and Crabsticks in spices and cornflour then deep frying it, the cornflour turns into a kind of crunchy batter.

Yes, I have got cornflour, so I will try that. What spices does she use? The fish is dipped in egg (seasoned with sea salt and black pepper) then shallow fried in olive oil, or rapeseed oil, but I have not got rapeseed oil.

I presume olive oil is the more expensive than rapeseed oil, in financial terms. Can I get rapeseed oil produced in the this country, and save air miles. Or is that getting too complex? :unsure:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes, I have got cornflour, so I will try that. What spices does she use? The fish is dipped in egg (seasoned with sea salt and black pepper) then shallow fried in olive oil, or rapeseed oil, but I have not got rapeseed oil.

I presume olive oil is the more expensive than rapeseed oil, in financial terms. Can I get rapeseed oil produced in the this country, and save air miles. Or is that getting too complex? :unsure:
Oh in that case the Polenta is a substitute for breadcrumbs what with the Egg to stick it to the outside. I'll dig out the Seafood recipe when I've got time (I'm cutting a bit of hedge at the mo, just having a sit down and a cuppa to rest my leg)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Oh in that case the Polenta is a substitute for breadcrumbs what with the Egg to stick it to the outside. I'll dig out the Seafood recipe when I've got time (I'm cutting a bit of hedge at the mo, just having a sit down and a cuppa to rest my leg)

No rush! In Hundred Acre Wood it is Illegal To Rush!
Tonight is lamb, tomorrow is plain fish with lemon and parsley.

The fish bites are for Monday, possibly. My Ocado order is for Tuesday. It may sound tedious to plan ahead, but I am serious about losing weight gradually by making sustainable changes. I am not missing chocolate, or crisps. Full fat Greek style yoghurt is yummy even if you only have two tablespoons of it. Interestingly the recipe book uses mostly (when required) full fat, yoghurt, etc. I suspect that low fat versions have lots of sugar and other addictives in them. Lemonade now tastes funny!

Cool, breezy and overcast here chez Casa Reynard.

The house is noticeably cooler too, although I had another sleepless night. This is getting very tiresome. Didn't do anything this morning except watch a bit of snooker and putter about with the bike project.

I will need to pop into town later for a few bits and bobs; a birthday present for a dear friend, the car wants some petrol and I'm going to see what the LBS has in terms of bars and seatposts.

Hmm, cornflour and cornmeal are most definitely not the same things.

Also, rape seed oil is usually just sold as vegetable oil, and most of it is UK produced anyway. It's the bog standard el-cheapo in most supermarkets. OK, you an buy oil that's labeled as rape seed oil, but it is more expensive than the same stuff that's labeled as vegetable oil. It's just a marketing tool to relieve people of their money. :tongue:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
In that case I will put cornmeal on my shoppsing list, and use olive oil for the frying.

Thanks to all peeps for your helpful replies. ^_^

There may be similar questions over the next few weeks. The weight loss is slow but steady. I would like to loose just over a stone by the end of the year (in addition to what have already lost) Please note that no about of bribery would lead to me disclosing my weight. After surgery, and huge does of steroids in the Chemotherapy. I was at my heaviest in January. Started to lose weight in May after finishing Radiotherapy.

Now I have a large area of carpet to shampoo and some walls and skirting board to clean. Bob decided he did not like my full mug of coffee being on the table and sent it flying across the room. :sad:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I suspect that low fat versions have lots of sugar and other addictives in them.
Yep, got it in one

Also, rape seed oil is usually just sold as vegetable oil, and most of it is UK produced anyway. It's the bog standard el-cheapo in most supermarkets. OK, you an buy oil that's labeled as rape seed oil, but it is more expensive than the same stuff that's labeled as vegetable oil. It's just a marketing tool to relieve people of their money. :tongue:
You need to be careful, some 'Vegetable Oil' is Palm Oil or a blend with that in, I always go for Sunflower Oil for frying with Olive Oil and Rapeseed Oil for flavouring in some sauces or dressings,Oh and 'Groundnut Oil*' for stir-frying with Toasted Sesame Oil used just for flavouring if needed.

* Groundnut Oil (peanut) has the highest 'burn point' of any oil.

Yep, got it in one

You need to be careful, some 'Vegetable Oil' is Palm Oil or a blend with that in, I always go for Sunflower Oil for frying with Olive Oil and Rapeseed Oil for flavouring in some sauces or dressings,Oh and 'Groundnut Oil*' for stir-frying with Toasted Sesame Oil used just for flavouring if needed.

* Groundnut Oil (peanut) has the highest 'burn point' of any oil.

Tesco's own brand vegetable oil is pure rapeseed oil. :angel:

Top Bottom