Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
All you need to know about wheels...

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Never been a Kate Bush fan , but she has done some good music
Yeah, I'm not really a fan as such but I bought a copy of her first album (The Kick Inside) a while ago and it was quite good, so when I saw her next two I picked them up too. I only paid about £4 each for them. I wasn't keen on Lionheart but The Kick Inside is a good one. Her voice was a bit too 'squeaky' on Lionheart.

Had some good luck at the weekend. I was given a Bang & Olufsen amplifier and Beovox 3702 speakers, a Technics amplifier (with manual), a Technics CD player and a JVC stack unit with speakers. Oh yeah, I aslo got a porch light, a floor lamp unit (2 lamps) and a slide projector. All were about to be thrown out by the grandson of the lady next door who recently passed away. His mother didn't want any of it and nor did her sister (who had already nabbed the Bang & Olufsen record deck).

I've been checking it all out because most of the stuff was in the loft and hadn't been used for years. The Technics amp and CD unit work ok with the B&O speakers but so far I haven't managed to get anything out of the B&O amp. I have no manual for that. Its a Beomaster 3000-2 if anybody here has one!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shattered this morning - Son disturbed us by Gaming at 1am, told to come off. 4am he's still at it. Then he will spend the day in bed whilst we are WFH and daughter on-line for college (physically in from college next week). It's not on. He's been warned many times. I even put a timer on the router - this stopped us also watching a film mid week, even switched of upstairs power sockets.

Enough is enough. I ordered smart wall sockets for his room at 4:30am this morning. 7:30am, confirmation from Screwfix to say they are ready to collect. Really shouldn't have to do this for a 20 year olds, but he's making us tired and then does absolutely nothing around the house, no rent or nothing. Only has a part time job at present.

D

Deleted member 26715

Shattered this morning - Son disturbed us by Gaming at 1am, told to come off. 4am he's still at it. Then he will spend the day in bed whilst we are WFH and daughter on-line for college (physically in from college next week). It's not on. He's been warned many times. I even put a timer on the router - this stopped us also watching a film mid week, even switched of upstairs power sockets.

Enough is enough. I ordered smart wall sockets for his room at 4:30am this morning. 7:30am, confirmation from Screwfix to say they are ready to collect. Really shouldn't have to do this for a 20 year olds, but he's making us tired and then does absolutely nothing around the house, no rent or nothing. Only has a part time job at present.
Best use a very secure password or you're wasting your money, he'll get around it in 10 minutes, does he not wear headphones?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The subject of prams came up at the video call with MIL on Sunday and our other niece was on it saying she want's to look at prams once the shops are open. I think MIL will be in for a shock when she sees the cost of a pram these days - I'd already warned her.

Child no. 1 had a pram which we picked up in the Dales near my parents house there. £20 for pram, canopy, all the bits.

However ... it had been used to keep new-born lambs in. My new-born child wasn't to know and after a clean looked like new.

You're doing the right thing. It's your house, your rules. He's an adult now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Child no. 1 had a pram which we picked up in the Dales near my parents house there. £20 for pram, canopy, all the bits.

However ... it had been used to keep new-born lambs in. My new-born child wasn't to know and after a clean looked like new.

You're doing the right thing. It's your house, your rules. He's an adult now.

That was then about Prams. We just got one that fitted in MrsF's boot - came with a removable carry seat that went in the car. Nowadays they are a status symbol. My niece who literally has no money, spent over £1k on a pram. Madness.

Son's had enough 'warnings' and it's just not good for us. Needs to act like an adult - he is complaining his 'mates' can do what they want - hmm, either they have massive houses and they live in 'the west wing' or they are all pulling the wool over our eyes. He's had some options. If you want to do what you want, get a good job, buy your own place and then do that (oh but you won't be able to do that as you'll be knackered), or if you are living here with three other adults who are busy 'working/studying', stop disturbing us. He doesn't think he's being noisy, but you can still hear the clicking keyboard and PC whir. Enough is enough. He starts to do as you ask, but a few days later, it's out of hand again.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@fossyant - my 20yo is away at university but has the same issue with one of his house-mates who's apparently stopped studying and is gaming instead. My son's laid the law down there and it's improved. It was pointed out to him that the other residents, one of whom owns the house, are 3rd year engineering students who have lectures starting at 8am.

It sounds like he needs a full-time job, a course and/or a series of volunteering to enhance his cv. Or get, and pay for, his own place. However ...

My colleague's son is also 20 but they had similar issues with late-night gaming: his parents in desperation paid for a flat for him with a year's rent. 9 months on and the situation's worsened for them as he's accrued debts and far worse lifestyle issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom