Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just come back from a 13.5 mile cycle ride .It is sunny with cloud, the air is still a bit nippy .
I stopped off at Reybridge to watch a female Mallard with her 11 ducklings swimming in the river . They were busy looking for things to eat .
It was a pleasant ride with not much wind about .

have not tried that. but funny you should mention that chain. recently while taking a solo road trip & had a craving for lobster tails, using the Waze app, I was able to plot a detour along my route to a Red Lobster restaurant. donned my mask & asked for a take-out menu. but was given the regular menu & invited into the empty bar room. where I proceeded to order some drinks & lunch & sat in a booth to chow down. I ordered a lobster "bake" w/ pasta, mussels & shrimp
View attachment 583736
the bartender had to bring me more sauce because the meal was completely devoid of flavor. after adding the sauce it was fine. in fact 2 days later Wifey was still smelling garlic on my breath. however, the lobster tails were the size of shrimp & had no actual lobster flavor to them (probably frozen). shrimp & mussels the same. I've been only disappointed by that chain & I only go back out of desperation. for us, the best lobster meals are on "the cape". what I really wanted is some good old fashioned baked stuffed lobster tails that taste like lobster, w/ bread crumbs & butter. some crab meat in the stuffing is fine

a favorite haunt of ours is PJ's in Wellfleet, MA. it's best to eat what you order right there on a picnic table. once the fried clams & french fries are wrapped up & you drive a mile to the beach they are already no longer hot & crispy. the fried clams & grilled hot dogs are the best, there. the lobster rolls have no flavor. the best lobster roll I ever had was in Chatham, MA during a street festival from an outdoor vendor setup under a tent. go figure ... super delicious! perfect temperature & amount. where-as PJ's was over stuffed, too cold & had no flavor

been tempted to buy lobster tails at the local grocery store & have a go of it myself at home but I'm too afraid they cooked the ones that were getting old or died. also don't know how long ago they cut the tails off the ones they didn't cook. took some pics last weekend to show Wifey
View attachment 583738
View attachment 583739
but she doesn't eat lobster, so I'm on my own, in that regard ...
In Manchester my neighbour for a while was a waiter at a posh restaurant. One Sunday he brought some live lobsters home in a polystyrene chill crate.
Walking down the road after being dropped off he met another neighbours kids playing. I was out front enjoying the afternoon sun drinking beer and watched as the kids drew close as my neighbour lifted the lid on the crate, putting your hand in a box of lobsters that are fully awake from having little ice is entertainment for a man having a beer watching.

Ah, that was a very nice :bicycle:

Took Max the MTB and went to Littleport to drop off mum's prescription at the Quack. But rode it almost entirely off road along a series of connected farm tracks and bridleways. Really good fun, but Max and I are now both somewhat in need of a bath. :blush:

A :cuppa: for me first though.

In Manchester my neighbour for a while was a waiter at a posh restaurant. One Sunday he brought some live lobsters home in a polystyrene chill crate.
Walking down the road after being dropped off he met another neighbours kids playing. I was out front enjoying the afternoon sun drinking beer and watched as the kids drew close as my neighbour lifted the lid on the crate, putting your hand in a box of lobsters that are fully awake from having little ice is entertainment for a man having a beer watching.

I remember being in Japan with my Inlaws one Summer; it was Obon, which is a gift giving season in Japan.

Beautiful Wife's dad is a respected doctor in their small town, so they got gifts whether they wanted it or not. One evening a courier delivered a fairly big box, about 50 x 50 cm and perhaps 30cm high.

Beautiful Mother In Law opened it, pulled a face and said the Japanese equivalent of "Oh B*gg*r"*.

Inside and almost filling the box with its body alone was a massive crab, very much alive and really pissed off on account of being squezed into the box. Mother In Law shouted to someone to boil some water and quickly to put the poor thing out of its misery, and it was dinner that evening...

*Which apparently requires 37 syllables, four pictograms; and probably translates as "Oh, gosh, that's inconvenient, it really is" Japanese being short of good swearwords.

I remember being in Japan with my Inlaws one Summer; it was Obon, which is a gift giving season in Japan.

Beautiful Wife's dad is a respected doctor in their small town, so they got gifts whether they wanted it or not. One evening a courier delivered a fairly big box, about 50 x 50 cm and perhaps 30cm high.

Beautiful Mother In Law opened it, pulled a face and said the Japanese equivalent of "Oh B*gg*r"*.

Inside and almost filling the box with its body alone was a massive crab, very much alive and really pissed off on account of being squezed into the box. Mother In Law shouted to someone to boil some water and quickly to put the poor thing out of its misery, and it was dinner that evening...

*Which apparently requires 37 syllables, four pictograms; and probably translates as "Oh, gosh, that's inconvenient, it really is" Japanese being short of good swearwords.
I used to watch "Come Dine With Me" in the UK and remember seeing a man pick up a crab to dunk into a boiling pot. It deftly gripped his thumb and went down fighting.

I used to watch "Come Dine With Me" in the UK and remember seeing a man pick up a crab to dunk into a boiling pot. It deftly gripped his thumb and went down fighting.

No crab would dare do that with Beautiful Mother In Law.

Besides, the poor crab was fading fast: she wanted to kill it as fast as possible.

This is apparently a sort of occupational hazard of being a pillar of the community in a traditional rural Japanese town: older patients tend to send traditional gifts...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Nice 102km ride today, and blue skies and sun after recent rain and snow.

Top Bottom