Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Site has been acting up a bit tonight.

It's my PCs that are acting up. Neither desktop nor laptop will boot. Using ancient netbook.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was young the tabloids of the time would always bring out the old line about it being hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement every heat wave. I think they even had photos of such an event.
Never hear that now so either they lack imagination or it is not hot enough yet.
Mind you I never read newspapers nowadays but it is good fodder for the twits so I would have noticed it.

hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement
you made me curious as well
supposedly "Eggs need to reach a temperature of 158F degrees to cook through. Sidewalks can usually get up to 145F. The hotter the day, the more likely your egg will fry. Using a good heat conductor (i.e. a frying pan) is also important"

more fun
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...en-summer-tradition-over-100-years-180972556/

a parabolic solar cooker, which can reach 400 degrees, sounds a lot more sanitary
parabolic solar cokker.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, had a couple of Strikemaster aircraft fly over earlier. I wonder if there's a display or just practice.
hmmm, interesting sight! we periodically hear strange aviation noises over our home, under the cover of darkness. last night was another. sounded like jet engines, like a jet was flying right overhead, 500 feetish? but real slowly. except a real jet would have made more noise. plus it moved more slowly than a jet at such a low altitude. I looked out a window but didn't see anything or any lights. on another occasion, I heard something like a helicopter, but definitely NOT a helicopter. we live near a small former military base & a current FEMA bunker & a small short (amateur?) airstrip, near a river. I once came a cross a gentleman with prior government contract work experience in Cambridge, MA (US) & elsewhere & mentioned the things I hear at night, that sound like nothing normal & he gave me a look, as if he knew something he couldn't disclose. unrelated? driving home the other day I saw 2 heavily armored blacked out military? vehicles (but not like what I've seen before on local news) buzzing along my local route. I called the state police in case it was another case of "rise of the moors" as had closed a local highway in an armed standoff. but the operator said it was "a cpl of ours". let's hope so, right? I wonder if they are getting ready in case more nutzo, lunatic, moronic, chump supporters, act up again?!

Cool, breezy and overcast here chez Casa Reynard. Well, it's probably still 22 degrees, but that's well down from what it's been.
I am watching the Olympic opening ceremony and working on my writing project.
Almost time for lunch. :hungry:
it's a nice thing to watch over coffee & breakfast. gorgeous morning here. cool w/ low humidity. I should probably ride my bike today. bossman gave us a cpl free Fridays off

recently had an epic search for a cat litter scoop with wide spaces so I wouldn't have to sift so much, after modifying a new one w/ snips, after recycling a really good one that I couldn't find locally again. ordered 2 from diff. sources for too much $ plus shipping $, ugh. then yesterday stopped by a big pet shop I don't normally go into due to it's location & discovered they are the Mecca of cat litter scoops. it was like a candy store. I had difficulty restraining myself. the stainless steel one (I think) was most attractive

Top Bottom