Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think @Pat "5mph" likes coffee not sure where I get the idea ^_^

Modern technology ! :angry:
A month or so ago we bought a new laptop as our old one , something like 4 years old batteries started playing up .
The new one doesn't have a card reader , cd player and only ,2 USB ports. It has some other new fancy ports which we don't have things to plug into them . :angry:. We use one USB for our mouse so that leaves one for attaching something else .
Yesterday my wife tried to use the new CD writer/player which we had to buy. She downloaded the software for it and for some reason it doesn't seem to work . :wacko: :angry:. Now we have to figure out which bit isn't working ! :wacko:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Modern technology ! :angry:
A month or so ago we bought a new laptop as our old one , something like 4 years old batteries started playing up .
The new one doesn't have a card reader , cd player and only ,2 USB ports. It has some other new fancy ports which we don't have things to plug into them . :angry:. We use one USB for our mouse so that leaves one for attaching something else .
Yesterday my wife tried to use the new CD writer/player which we had to buy. She downloaded the software for it and for some reason it doesn't seem to work . :wacko: :angry:. Now we have to figure out which bit isn't working ! :wacko:
Couldn’t you get a new battery for your old laptop? That’s something I've got to buy for two of ours and both laptops must be 10 years old if not older. I’ve just added an SSD to one and now it runs better than it ever did. I’m going to get an SSD for the other, new batteries for both and one needs more RAM. It’ll be like having two new laptops for less than £90.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I thought the wife had got up, but it was next doors grabber lorry dealing with all the builders waste.

In other news, next door has beaten me to it and brought down the brown bin, while the silver bins are conversing at the roadside, which probably means they have also been emptied.

Couldn’t you get a new battery for your old laptop? That’s something I've got to buy for two of ours and both laptops must be 10 years old if not older. I’ve just added an SSD to one and now it runs better than it ever did. I’m going to get an SSD for the other, new batteries for both and one needs more RAM. It’ll be like having two new laptops for less than £90.
We looked into it but decided that a new one would be the easiest option . I changed the battery on our previous one as it was external . It wasn't a genuine one and didn't last long . Our other laptop has an internal battery buried inside . It would mean disabling it whilst I did it and I prefer working on things where I can't make things worse ! I have previously fitted a new hard drive to my I Mac. It wasn't working so I couldn't do much harm. It is now working .
My wife decided that it was too much work after looking it up on the net . I think the cost of a new battery was also a bit steep !

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
We looked into it but decided that a new one would be the easiest option . I changed the battery on our previous one as it was external . It wasn't a genuine one and didn't last long . Our other laptop has an internal battery buried inside . It would mean disabling it whilst I did it and I prefer working on things where I can't make things worse ! I have previously fitted a new hard drive to my I Mac. It wasn't working so I couldn't do much harm. It is now working .
My wife decided that it was too much work after looking it up on the net . I think the cost of a new battery was also a bit steep !
I know what you mean about Macs. My MacBook Air battery is only running at 75% efficiency and really needs replacing, but it's a minimum of a three-hour job including taking most of the internal apart and having to mess about with glue.

On the other hand, the two laptops I mentioned are HP and replacing the battery takes 10 seconds at the most :laugh:

It's a shame we can't have the best of both worlds because I love my Mac.

I know what you mean about Macs. My MacBook Air battery is only running at 75% efficiency and really needs replacing, but it's a minimum of a three-hour job including taking most of the internal apart and having to mess about with glue.

On the other hand, the two laptops I mentioned are HP and replacing the battery takes 10 seconds at the most :laugh:

It's a shame we can't have the best of both worlds because I love my Mac.
The problems we are having are with Acers. My Mac was quite easy although a bit daunting. It's the one shaped like a curling stone !

Well! Someone deserves a right earful !
I brought our old laptop out of retirement to try out the new DVD ready writer thingy. It's a company that begins with A and sounds like useless. Stupid instructions ! You may need to buy an extension lead for your USB lead as you may have to use 2 ports for extra power . Well if they have me a bit more cable I wouldn't need to would I ! :angry:. And another thing if the computer doesn't have 2 ports where is the extra power coming from ? :angry:
Anyway I managed to watch a DVD using the old laptop and didn't have to load any software as it had a DVD player already installed .
Right so I had proved that the player worked so now to try the new laptop . Still nothing ! :angry: My wife had paid £12 for a Microsoft download! :angry: It would recognise that something was in there but that's all. We then downloaded a free one . Bingo ! It is now working !
What a Bl**ding faff! :angry:. It's no wonder planes fall out of the sky !

Top Bottom