Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Currently inbound, north of Manchester, headed for North Wales.
1713276475880.png

1713276581597.png

A cold, grey and blustery day here chez Casa Reynard, with the occasional outbreak of drizzle.

Did not sleep that well. OK for the first half of the night, then the old "too hot, too cold, too hot, too cold" took over and after that I barely got a wink. So I have been having a quiet day here today, doing some writing, catching up with some paperwork and trying to find ways of solving a problem in the Household Pet section at shows in this region.

Namely trying to pin down whether a particular exhibitor is trying to nobble cats that are up against hers in either the title or colour classes. She's alleged to have done so (nothing serious, but enough to make the cats get annoyed and "boil over"), but so far, she seems to be coated in teflon, and nothing has stuck. I'm thinking that planting a few small cameras (like a go-pro / dashcam type thing) that can be easily hidden might just do the trick. Would need permission from the Show Manager to do something like that, but without concrete evidence, it's just her word against the other exhibitors.

Am now sat down with a nice :cuppa: and a fruity flapjack.

classic33

Leg End Member
A cold, grey and blustery day here chez Casa Reynard, with the occasional outbreak of drizzle.

Did not sleep that well. OK for the first half of the night, then the old "too hot, too cold, too hot, too cold" took over and after that I barely got a wink. So I have been having a quiet day here today, doing some writing, catching up with some paperwork and trying to find ways of solving a problem in the Household Pet section at shows in this region.

Namely trying to pin down whether a particular exhibitor is trying to nobble cats that are up against hers in either the title or colour classes. She's alleged to have done so (nothing serious, but enough to make the cats get annoyed and "boil over"), but so far, she seems to be coated in teflon, and nothing has stuck. I'm thinking that planting a few small cameras (like a go-pro / dashcam type thing) that can be easily hidden might just do the trick. Would need permission from the Show Manager to do something like that, but without concrete evidence, it's just her word against the other exhibitors.

What about using old mobile phones?
The audio should be better as well.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

Does remind me of when my father entered flower shows. My job as a small child was to hang around and make sure his entries remained where he put them on the tables.
Some entrants with inferior entries were not above nudging his entry over into another entry class where it would be automatically disqualified.
Flower shows were cut throat competitions and I presume cat shows are the same.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Sunny most of the day but a rain shower late afternoon.
Early start down to the Post Office to tax my car as that is the only time I can get parked nearby.
Had a chat with the person who runs the PO about the history of the building and what occupied the empty space next door which was the smiddy and petrol pump and was still only just working when we arrived here all those years ago. History of these kind of things tends to get lost over time.
Visit to the Practice Nurse to get bloods done again and commiserate about the terrible weather we had yesterday.
Back home in time for lunch and then sit in my sheltered spot in the top garden. A lot of minor wind damage to get sorted and a hinge on the gate has broken. Must have been a strong gust to break that as it was nearly new and corrosion can be ruled out.
I should be at a cardiology appointment in Glasgow tomorrow but unable to get there as patient transport refuse me and public transport is beyond me. Driving is an option but getting to the Royal is suicidal for me nowadays and son who would take me is off back to work in Taiwan. Early June is the next possibility.

What about using old mobile phones?
The audio should be better as well.

Don't really need the audio, just need to nail her messing around with a pen that doesn't belong to either of her cats. Or not, as the case may be. She's known for spreading malicious gossip and generally pissing people off, so there's also the chance that others are simply trying to get their own back.

Does remind me of when my father entered flower shows. My job as a small child was to hang around and make sure his entries remained where he put them on the tables.
Some entrants with inferior entries were not above nudging his entry over into another entry class where it would be automatically disqualified.
Flower shows were cut throat competitions and I presume cat shows are the same.

It most definitely can be. This particular exhibitor is obsessed with winning. Trouble is, she doesn't do terribly well under judges who really know their onions when it comes to household pets. Her cats are really visually appealing, they are in fabulous condition and impeccably presented BUT they simply don't have the temperament. One likes to shred judges and stewards, and the other is just very shy and shoots straight back into the pen as soon as you've got it out. All things being equal in terms of presentation and condition, they are always going to be beaten by cats with more amenable personalities.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Home - eventually! Two hours late due to a tree blocking the line and taking out the overhead wires between Ipswich & Stowmarket. Taxis were eventually arranged by Greater Anglia as they couldn't source a replacement bus and I spent something like 1hr 30 minutes squashed into the tiny seat in the third row of a Ford Galaxy type thing - the driver had his meter running to invoice G.A. and it showed £132 for the Ely - Ipswich trip.
My 'Delay Repay' claim was submitted on the A14 and there are now emergency pizzas in the oven.

simongt

Guru
On the way back from Yorkshire, stopped at Wetherby services. As the queue for Greggs was very long, I was obliged to get a medium Latte from Costa for £4.50.
Later, stopping off at Blythe services, went to Greggs and bought a flat white, a Margherita pizza slice & a double choc chip cookie for £5.95. :okay:
So I paid an extra £1.45 for a decent amount of grub which got me home. Coffee wise, not a lot of difference, both places staff cheerful and friendly, but goes to show why I avoid Costa / Starbucks whenever possible - ! :laugh:

Top Bottom