Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
My experience of Irish roads, albeit quite a few years ago, was that the road on the map might change from a 'proper' bit of tarmac up to the county border before changing to a poorly maintained farm track as only one county considered the road important enough to spend money on..

Often, if there is only one or two houses on the road, they will just tarmac as far as that house and leave the rest of it. Some roads marked on maps are unmetalled.

It's also not uncommon to find farmers have put gates up or even penned sheep on a road even if it is on the maps as a right off way.

Also keep an eye out for lines of baling twine tied across a little used rural road to assist when turning livestock into a field when moving them on the road, especially at milking time.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Do you ever think why am I revisiting a subject I did 6 months ago

A grey, chilly and occasionally showery day here chez Casa Reynard.

I slept OK-ish. Am having another quiet day working on some writing and watching the snooker. It is such a treat, watching Ronnie O'Sullivan play.

Got side tracked last night after the footy finished, First, watching the excellent match between Robert Milkins and Pang Junxu, and then watching an episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" that turned up on my FB feed. It's not something I'd ever consider watching, but I had SUCH fun laughing at all those dreadful over-the-top meringue dresses.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not a very productive day with sunny intervals but very cold wind.
Took some stuff up to the dump for the charity shop but what is now called “ Civic Amenity Area” was closed off and a sign saying try again later. I have been trying now for over a week with no success at getting in.
Thought I would go and sit at the marina and watch the world go by.
No chance. The music festival early arrivals are here and motorhomes and campers jammed the car park and any spare space had their deck chairs and tables.
The slipway and all other spaces are coned off but I suspect the cones may wander a bit and a motorhome mysteriously find it’s way clear to park.
The cruise liner scheduled to arrive today is not arriving till tomorrow so the passengers coming ashore will probably have a long walk as the tour buses cannot get near the landing now either.

To add to the disasters I did get the mobility scooter out but did not take it on the now busy road. The disaster is I cannot seem to lift it into the car as I did in the past. I could use ramps to get it in the back of the car but that would mean taking the trike out and I had it in the side door with the trike before. The Peugeot is high by modern car standards and my upper body strength seems to have gone as I could lift it in before.
I always had a trailer in the past and I do have a tow hitch. Hmm.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Bay E of its getting ahead of itself. I have been reading some Maigret detective novels in French and buying a few secondhand copies on Bay E.

Maigret in French sounds complicated, but it is mainly conversations in the present tense. I have some Agatha Christie books in French, but the Maigret ones seems to flow better, if that makes sense.

I have recently joined an on-line group that discusses Margery Allingham books, along with her interest in knitting and dressmaking.

Bay E has now decided that I should be reading Margery Allingham books in French. :scratch:

There is no privacy online.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Very pleasant afternoon! Picked grandson up from school after a few miles walk around the village he's at then drive home through the lanes.
Once back, a walk with Bonnie & aforementioned grandson to the local field for ½hr of Frisbee throwing followed by some games of Connect 4 in the dining room table.
Ice cream van stopped just up the road so we spoilt our apetites with a 99 🍦

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Today's Cassie's birthday. She's already lost her "It's my birthday" bandanna twice.

Gwylan

Veteran
Last nights performance was a great night out. It's fair to say it was one of laughs and at times made you cry. Michael Sheen was outstanding as Bevan. Mrs 73 at the interval on the way back from getting the ice creams. Heard two ladies talking one was saying her grandfather had grown up with Bevan. She'd been around stories about him as a child and was finding quite emotional. It turned out to be the 100th show since NT live started so in the interval they did a short film covering past plays and how they go about filming it live. It's a lot of work and involves multiple camera set ups.
I'd forgotten how good they are as we've not been since covid having gone to a few over the years.
If you can I'd say go and see it https://nye.ntlive.com/synopsis/
NT live also have a steaming site of past shows.
https://www.ntathome.com/

Glad you enjoyed it.
My experience is theatre does not work well enough to justify the cost

Top Bottom