Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
@oldwheels - that's no different to other popular tourist sites.

As a young child I used to be able to sit in the Major Oak at Sherwood Forest whenever we visited. Now it's fenced off and a visitor centre.

In the 1970s we were being driven down from Heathrow to Devon when we saw Stonehenge on the side of the road. My uncle pulled over onto the verge, and we wandered across and had a good look at the stones, then sat on one of the fallen ones and ate a picnic.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We've already discussed this at length. Chicken is the name of the species. Hen is the name of the sex. Hen chickens lay eggs. So, some chickens (the female ones called hens) lay eggs. I don't have any males (cocks, or cockerals), so I don't need to distinguish which sex of chicken I am talking about.......so I am completely correct to say "my chickens should be laying more eggs".

Of, and if we are to be pedantic, a hen could be a goose, or a pheasant, or an ostrich. If I were to say "my hens only laid one egg today" you might think I was talking about an emu.....so I use chicken to avoid that confusion.

OK? :smile:

My grandparents, parents and all the farms I worked on as well as later at university all referred to hens as the ones laying eggs which if not eaten turned eventually into chickens.
I agree that other birds can be named for sex but it does not alter the point that referring to domestic poultry people understand what is meant by hen and chicken.

MikeG

Guru
My grandparents, parents and all the farms I worked on as well as later at university all referred to hens as the ones laying eggs which if not eaten turned eventually into chickens.
I agree that other birds can be named for sex but it does not alter the point that referring to domestic poultry people understand what is meant by hen and chicken.

Right, so you understood what I was saying, and you knew that I was correct in what I was saying. I'm not sure why you tried to correct me, then.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
@oldwheels - that's no different to other popular tourist sites.

As a young child I used to be able to sit in the Major Oak at Sherwood Forest whenever we visited. Now it's fenced off and a visitor centre.

Sadly true but I have no idea what could be done otherwise.
People have more money and time now but I wonder how many visiting these places are simply ticking boxes and have no real interest in the place they are visiting.
I consider myself lucky as I travelled and visited most of the UK before tourism became a menace.
Now I am in the slightly unfortunate position of being a prisoner in what has become a must see area due to pressure of numbers of visitors.
This has happened fairly suddenly over the last decade.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Right, so you understood what I was saying, and you knew that I was correct in what I was saying. I'm not sure why you tried to correct me, then.

Still disagree and nothing will change.

tom73

Guru

Talk of poultry due to effects of avian flu the latest domestic animal rare breeds at risk register has now added all native poultry. :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
My family, all bar the current generation, were/are farmers. My grandparents referred to them as hens, even the cock. Unless they wanted the cock kept seperate.
Maybe its a regional thing, it's certainly not a generational thing.
The geese were geese, locked in a seperate hut to the hens at night.

We're becoming too detached from where our food actually comes from. Folk are unaware that potatoes, and other tubers, are grown underground/in the ground. That the items bought from the supermarket/shop are actually washed before they reach the shelves.
Many recoil in horror at any presented in anything other than a clean condition, or oversized ones.

MikeG

Guru
.....We're becoming too detached from where our food actually comes from.....
This. Exactly this. Keeping chickens is something of an inconvenience, but we do it mainly to help our grandkids understand where food comes from. We've always grown our own fruit and veggies (annoyingly we've just run out of last years potatoes and onions), but they're a bit less exciting to a 3 year old than birds and the eggs they produce.

Top Bottom