Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cloudy but bright describes today's weather so just went up to visit my wildlife pal. He had not long before had a strange experience after a phone call from somebody he knows vaguely asking if he had lost a camera. It transpired that they had found the camera in a remote spot while hillwalking and taken the sim card out and checked it.
The first photo on that was himself so they tracked him down. When he got the camera back and looked at the pictures he remembered that he had indeed lost a camera in 2006.
Screen was clouded but the inside when I looked was dry and I offered to charge the battery as I have the same model camera but he declined as he had a replacement camera and the screen clouded would make it unusable anyway.
On the way home I diverted to the original main road to get a better exit on to the new road. Narrow and few passing places with a hump back bridge.
In my distillery days our company secretary came by car from Liverpool to visit. When he came to the hump back bridge he forgot to ease off speed and the car folded in half across behind the driver's seat :ohmy:
A very canny accountant driving a Fiat but cannot remember the model. I think he was more shaken by the cost rather than the danger.:wacko:

tom73

Guru
Had a few hours in the garden i've a start on cutting the grass normally it's left for no mow May. But with Charlie having a bad leg he was finding it hard to get around on. Only cut the main one and by the back door the rest can wait till tomorrow. Also made a start on the weeding now it's drying out. Good job it's green bin this week.

I've also noticed that I was bidding against the same person every time.

Of course Ebay now randomizes the account "name" of the other bidder(s) into a series of letters and numbers, most of which are replaced by asterisks, but the very sizeable feedback was identical in each of the four cases. I've picked out a few other of the lots to check - ALL of them sold when I wasn't expecting most of them to - and it's the exact same bidder that's got them.

I don't think that's a coincidence. That definitely points to a commercial operation rather than a private collector, as these lots - there were 46 of them - were a fairly random and eclectic mix of F1, sportscars, rally (world and UK) and assorted junior formulae.

I will say that the vast majority of these items went for little or no money because they weren't listed terribly well, and I won't be surprised to see this material being re-sold in fairly short order at a much higher price.

classic33

Leg End Member
I went to the birthday party of an old friend last night, and took with me this present I carved from a lump of bog oak:

View attachment 731380

All of the symbols are of significance to him. The house shows up better in real life than in the photo.

For those who haven't heard of bog oak, it is oak wood which has been preserved by falling into a bog, and it is between 3000 and 10000 years old in the UK. It's incredibly rare and precious.
Castle Class?

Nifty hand work on that piece.

classic33

Leg End Member
We've bought some plastic ones instead.
They'll know they're not real ones.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Now that was a great day. Some fantastic club racing at my favourite viewing circuit in unbroken sunshine and the drive each way was just set the cruise control and relax. Next weekend is the BTCC at Snetterton and you can bet it won't be as good.

Wheelie bin (non-recycling) has been moved to the front of the house for emptying in the morning.

Top Bottom