Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The second of the two brothers, who wrote the song “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” died yesterday.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZNRzc3hWvE

Richard outlived his brother Robert by 12 years.

Dick Van Dyke still alive, his hometown about 60 miles from here.

got on the wrong line at the ice cream stand. 3 teeny boppers must have been ordering for a party. every time the attendant asked if "that was it?" they added another cpl of items. then "may I try a taste of ..." ppl around me on lines that were moving kept looking over at me & someone asked if I'd like to join their line. I chuckled & just said "no, I'm kinda committed now". survived just fine & brought home the goods to Wifey
Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 8.57.19 PM.png

Light rain as forecast which later turned into occasional sunshine.
Another cruise ship in so no point going near the main part of town as it will be shuffling room only.
The only people to really benefit from this constant invasion is the harbour authority who must make a fortune in landing fees. While this is a limited company it is run locally and the money is largely kept local except for fees to the Crown Estate. I doubt anyone else benefits much from the passengers.
There was a survey done in Lerwick a few years ago which showed that the crew of those ships spent more in the town than the passengers.
I went for a walk in the upper part of town where only the fitter and more adventurous pests appear so they are no problem so far. It was raining but I did not get too wet.
In the narrower bits passing cars gave me a very wide berth as I use two sticks for those excursions and a bit like the trike they do not wish to be involved with injuring the apparently infirm.

We bought fish and chips in Lerwick last year. We were on a coach tour up to Scotland and beyond. We bought some things and whisky in Thurso , 2 teas and cake in John o'Groats. I would have spent a lot more in Thurso if they hadn't have run out of the bottles of whisky that I liked.
But yes! I suppose that tourists don't spend an awful lot especially if they are from a cruise ship.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Light rain as forecast which later turned into occasional sunshine.
Another cruise ship in so no point going near the main part of town as it will be shuffling room only.
The only people to really benefit from this constant invasion is the harbour authority who must make a fortune in landing fees. While this is a limited company it is run locally and the money is largely kept local except for fees to the Crown Estate. I doubt anyone else benefits much from the passengers.
There was a survey done in Lerwick a few years ago which showed that the crew of those ships spent more in the town than the passengers.
I went for a walk in the upper part of town where only the fitter and more adventurous pests appear so they are no problem so far. It was raining but I did not get too wet.
In the narrower bits passing cars gave me a very wide berth as I use two sticks for those excursions and a bit like the trike they do not wish to be involved with injuring the apparently infirm.

on/ off heavy rain showers and thunder in the afternoon for me , cancelled my ride and mooched about most of the day trying to rest my hand /wrist.
Got up today for bank holiday and as mrs ck is at work i have the kids to keep an eye on , well teenagers but they need supervision given mini ck1 is on the autistic scale ( not as troublesome as some but it can get interesting ) so its nice weather but i doubt i will have the opportunity.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Morning first cuppa went down well
Lovely day for a ride so hopefully I can get a walk around the block in not quite the same as a 50 mile ride but it is what it is.
Garden bird feeders have been topped and rescued a snail from the water bowl on the bird table.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We bought fish and chips in Lerwick last year. We were on a coach tour up to Scotland and beyond. We bought some things and whisky in Thurso , 2 teas and cake in John o'Groats. I would have spent a lot more in Thurso if they hadn't have run out of the bottles of whisky that I liked.
But yes! I suppose that tourists don't spend an awful lot especially if they are from a cruise ship.

We had a shop for a few years so were able to judge who bought and who did not. Bus parties sad to say were not popular and one friend who had a tourist based shop at the car park closed her shop when she saw a bus party appear.
Cruise ship passengers bought very little and most tourist turnover came from those who stayed on the island.
We did business with a cruise ship on one occasion only. Dreadful weather of gales and heavy rain and we were the first shop they came to when landed so they came in for shelter and felt obliged to buy something before running back to the shelter of the tender which brought them ashore.
You mention John o'Groats and interesting that the shop by the ferry was one of our best customers for woolly hats.
I know Lerwick well as my brother lives near there and we had holidays of a month at a time mostly in June.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Damp misty start to the day and forecast is not good.
I took the trike out of the car and up to my shed on the last dry day as I did not want to get it wet and it looks like a wise decision as rain is forecast for the rest of the week.
No cruise ships to be seen from my windows but there could still be one lurking out of sight in the entrance to the bay.:whistle:
Noticed two fish farm boats racing off to work at Fuinary further down the Sound. Mostly there is just one and they do not hang about when travelling.
Nothing planned today so off now for coffee.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from a partly cloudy Suffolk. Having a slow start to the public holiday with the first coffee of the day only just being finished and the now empty wheelie bin still where the bin men left it.
If it looks like staying dry, I think I'll go out for a couple of hours on the bike later and then give the car a quick wash & polish as it's filthy after the weekend's trips to Norfolk. One thing I mustn't forget to do is sort out the overnight bag for tomorrow's outing.

Damp misty start to the day and forecast is not good.
I took the trike out of the car and up to my shed on the last dry day as I did not want to get it wet and it looks like a wise decision as rain is forecast for the rest of the week.
No cruise ships to be seen from my windows but there could still be one lurking out of sight in the entrance to the bay.:whistle:
Noticed two fish farm boats racing off to work at Fuinary further down the Sound. Mostly there is just one and they do not hang about when travelling.
Nothing planned today so off now for coffee.

They are now using submarines so that they are not so obvious! :whistle:

Top Bottom