1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muppet

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by magnatom, 18 Oct 2007.

1. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I've had a good run of commutes recently. Most drivers have been driving safely and courteously. Yesterday afternoon I mentioned this to a colleague who also cycles. Oops!:ohmy:

You guessed it, some muppet must have heard me because he decided to break my good run (just a Georgia did for Scotland last night :biggrin:)

This 'chap' starts hitting his horn at me as I have just passed the brow of a hill and I am overtaking another cyclist. I am in the primary road position because I didn't want anyone overtaking me at the brow (dangerous) and because I was overtaking. He then overtakes dangerously (see how close he gets to the oncoming bus and myself) and later says I was at fault because I was in the middle of the road. Yes I was in the middle. That is where I chose to be for my safety I am sorry if I held you up. Oh wait I didn't hold you up at all as I passed you just 50m down the road. Muppet!:biggrin:

At least I stayed polite....

2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

That was close - had exactly the same last night - passed very very close by a motorist as I was passing another cyclist near a pedestrian island - gave me ohh 4 inches..... and I was probably doing about 25 mph, so hardly slow...

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

To be fair you were so out of breath that you couldn't have done much else. Surprising really as that was not a steep hill by any stretch.

4. Emu

Emu New Member

well, that's not a very nice thing to say.

5. gazzaputt

gazzaputt New Member

You know you handled it well.

Deep breath and carry on it's what I'm learning to do.

6. magnatom

magnatom Guest

:ohmy:

I've just came out of the Clyde Tunnel cycle path just before the start of that video. It certainly gets my breathing going!

I breath at that rate quite a lot and I can keep going like that for a while. I like to think I am fairly fit. My resting heart rate is about 51 and I recover pretty quick.

Hey wait a minute, why am I defending myself here :biggrin::biggrin:

7. magnatom

magnatom Guest

gazzaputt,

If you listen to the video you will hear me laughing a fair bit. It didn't really upset me, as you say I had it covered. However, I just can't understand the mentality of 'must get past the cyclist at all costs......'

I just thought I would post it for tetedelacourse to prove that car drivers do shout at us, with no good reason :ohmy:

8. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

I can't view it (at work) so I don't believe it happened^_^

It was probably something to do with the football:sad::biggrin:

9. Cab

Cab New Member

Sometimes I find that the correct primary position is further out than that, but along that road with the traffic and parked cars you had I think you were in the right position. I wouldn't criticise your cycling there Mag, the fault here is all with the other guy. No point sending it to Plod is there?

10. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

It's called trying to wind up Magnatom and as usual failing miserably. :ohmy::biggrin:

11. spindrift

spindrift New Member

He said what?

"Yeah, and I know about fxxxing ....something"?

12. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Nah. He wasn't particularly aggressive when I spoke to him to be honest. Just another driver who thinks cyclists should be in cycle lanes....:ohmy:

Actually I think I could have been a little further out. After the hill I tend to drift back to the secondary position. I didn't drift all the way this time, but I didn't hold as good a primary as I should. Knowing he was there and impatient I should have held firm. I was too timid on this occasion...:biggrin:

Of course that's no excuse for his driving.

13. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Aye, I sussed you out a long time ago laddie. :biggrin:

14. Cab

Cab New Member

It takes a surprising amount of willpower/bloody mindedness to maintain primary position when theres a guy being such an arse behind you. You did pretty well there I thought.

15. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I think it was something along the lines of:

"what would I want to go fxxxing about cycling for", although I can't be 100% on that.