Muppet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
It takes a surprising amount of willpower/bloody mindedness to maintain primary position when theres a guy being such an arse behind you. You did pretty well there I thought.

Yes but I can be pretty bloody minded. Just wasn't on this occasion.

Of course my road positioning was much better than the other cyclists!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
magnatom said:
..."what would I want to go fxxxing about cycling for", although I can't be 100% on that.

Answer :- " To relieve your pent up aggression ".

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Elmer Fudd said:
Answer :- " To relieve your pent up aggression ".

Yes its a shame I didn't make that out at the time, I could have started to recite all the wonderful reasons for taking up cycling......:ohmy:

col

Legendary Member
It was a great example of how vehicles percieve cyclists, as some thing that is just holding them up.I wonder if he would have commented if it was an electric milk float over taking?I doubt it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Col,

Maybe I should add a trailer with some milk bottles in it to the back of the bike. Would be good for keeping me fit as well!

HLab,

With no sound you've missed me being tooted at, me swearing a bit, chap in car calling me a fxxxing idiot for being in the middle of the road, me asking him if he knew anything about cycling, chap asking why would I want to cycle, me pointing out the camera, chap saying he didn't care, me saying have a look at youtube tomorrow, chap drives off and I laugh a bit and wave a cheery goodbye.

Oh and I forgot, some heavy breathing on my part :ohmy:

Who needs sound :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I would suggest not asking drivers if they know what the primary position is since that might make you sound like a bike geek. I'm not sure what a better suggestion is though, perhaps asking him "Don't you know how to overtake properly?".

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
i don't want to join in with the congratulatory backslapping tbh.
you were riding too far out, you then chased the driver down to shout at him, and tbh are an embarrassment to the cycling community.

Why you feel the need to video drivers that you have provoked into overtaking you by riding slowly in the middle of the road (sorry primary position) and pretending that you are a victim is beyond me.

Learn how to ride defensively not offensively, and leave the camera at home

ride safe out there tom. You are an accident waiting to happen

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Steve, I'm not sure you paid attention to the video at all, because Magnatom didn't chase down or stop the motorist. The motorist initiated it.

Secondly there's no excusing what the motorist did. I think you're wrong to try and transfer the blame to Magnatom.

Thirdly you're utterly wrong about the camera. It's a very useful tool, for teaching ourselves how to cycle better, for reporting incidents to companies, and for stopping driver aggression immediately.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
its all about perception mikey.

Tom was crawling along the road, and wasn't going fast enough to be riding in the middle of the road. you can tell how fast he was going by the fact the bike he was overtaking was hardly moving, the guy wasn't pedaling. if tom needs to ride in the middle of the road for long periods to overtake almost stationary cyclists, then he needs to be aware that cars will get irritated. If Tom was going fast enough to be in the 'middle of the road' he would have been up the arse of the traffic in front. not a good distance behind the cars on the road. you can see the car in front getting further ahead, so Tom isn't keeping up with the speed of traffic, and so IMO should not be riding in the middle of the road.

'FACT' Tom was going noticeable quicker after the car overtook him, and did chase the car down IMO. Then proceeded to shout at the driver 'FACT'

any need to call someone an peanut if you block them by riding slowly in the midddle of the road?

like i said. Tom is an accident waiting to happen, and needs to learn how to ride defensively, not offensively.

of course in my opinion

BentMikey said:
I would suggest not asking drivers if they know what the primary position is since that might make you sound like a bike geek. I'm not sure what a better suggestion is though, perhaps asking him "Don't you know how to overtake properly?".

Silly question :ohmy: to ask really Bent Mikey because some of them don't know how to drive responsibly/safetly let alone overtake safetly.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Steve Austin said:
<snippetty snip>
'FACT' Tom was going noticeable quicker after the car overtook him, and did chase the car down IMO.

He was going noticeably faster, but that's because he changed from going uphill to downhill after cresting the blind rise. I thought he was making good progress on overtaking the other cyclist, and primary position seems to be justified there given the narrow lane, the blind rise over the bridge, the parked cars, the junction, and the cyclist which he was in the process of overtaking.

Steve Austin said:
Then proceeded to shout at the driver 'FACT'

Incorrect. If you listen to the video, you'll see that the driver/passenger made some comment as Magnatom passed, and that caused Magnatom to stop when he wasn't going to, and comment back.

Steve Austin said:
any need to call someone an peanut if you block them by riding slowly in the midddle of the road?

That seems quite reasonable when the idiot overtook so dangerously in the face of oncoming traffic.

What I think is contemptible is that you want to blame Magnatom for the driver's poor overtaking, instead of blaming the driver for not holding back. If the driver did hold back, he wouldn't have lost even a second of journey time, as the time lost whilst going a little slower behind Magnatom would have been saved by not having to wait quite as long in the queue at the roundabout.

Can you explain to us all why you think it's fine to justify that driver's behaviour?

Steve Austin said:
like i said. Tom is an accident waiting to happen, and needs to learn how to ride defensively, not offensively.

of course in my opinion

I think Magnatom's riding was fine. It was assertive, but appropriate for the conditions.

Here's a challenge for you. Video some of your commute and put it online for us to look at. I'm betting that your riding could do with some improving. Given your comments, my guess is that it may not be up to Magnatom's standard of riding and that you'll be riding far too submissively. Of course, in fairness, everyone's riding could be improved, including my own.

Oh, another thing is that Magnatom's name isn't Tom.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
thats me 'proved' wrong then :ohmy:

like i said. its all about perception.
he was riding too slowly to be in the middle of the road.
he wasn't keeping up with traffic.
He was riding too far out.
He chased down the acr and initiated an argument.

and my name isn't Steve :biggrin:

Cab

Steve Austin said:
i don't want to join in with the congratulatory backslapping tbh.
you were riding too far out, you then chased the driver down to shout at him, and tbh are an embarrassment to the cycling community.

Really, I don't think you could be more wrong.

He was in the correct place on the road; a fairly standard primary position. If you don't believe that a cyclist should be in the primary position on a fairly normal road, then start a discussion on that and say why your opinion is so far from the consensus view held by the bulk of responsible cyclists.

But heres where things start looking really bad for the motorist; if there is someone in front of you who you think is in the wrong position, the correct response isn't to endanger them by passing too closely. Even if you think a bike in front is in the wrong road position you still have to respect their safety. Sounding a horn then passing too close isn't acceptable. Why do you condone that?

Chased him down? I don't get that from the footage. The car stopped at traffic, whats Magna meant to do, stop way behind him to avoid catching him up?

Why you feel the need to video drivers that you have provoked into overtaking you by riding slowly in the middle of the road (sorry primary position) and pretending that you are a victim is beyond me.

Learn how to ride defensively not offensively, and leave the camera at home

ride safe out there tom. You are an accident waiting to happen

I just don't get your attitude here at all. You're blaming the victim for someone else breaking the law. Seems barking to me.

Top Bottom