Muppet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had a good run of commutes recently. Most drivers have been driving safely and courteously. Yesterday afternoon I mentioned this to a colleague who also cycles. Oops!:ohmy:

You guessed it, some muppet must have heard me because he decided to break my good run (just a Georgia did for Scotland last night :biggrin:)

This 'chap' starts hitting his horn at me as I have just passed the brow of a hill and I am overtaking another cyclist. I am in the primary road position because I didn't want anyone overtaking me at the brow (dangerous) and because I was overtaking. He then overtakes dangerously (see how close he gets to the oncoming bus and myself) and later says I was at fault because I was in the middle of the road. Yes I was in the middle. That is where I chose to be for my safety I am sorry if I held you up. Oh wait I didn't hold you up at all as I passed you just 50m down the road. Muppet!:biggrin:

At least I stayed polite....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That was close - had exactly the same last night - passed very very close by a motorist as I was passing another cyclist near a pedestrian island - gave me ohh 4 inches..... and I was probably doing about 25 mph, so hardly slow...

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
At least I stayed polite....

To be fair you were so out of breath that you couldn't have done much else. Surprising really as that was not a steep hill by any stretch.

Emu

domtyler said:
To be fair you were so out of breath that you couldn't have done much else. Surprising really as that was not a steep hill by any stretch.

well, that's not a very nice thing to say.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:

:ohmy:

I've just came out of the Clyde Tunnel cycle path just before the start of that video. It certainly gets my breathing going!

I breath at that rate quite a lot and I can keep going like that for a while. I like to think I am fairly fit. My resting heart rate is about 51 and I recover pretty quick.

Hey wait a minute, why am I defending myself here :biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

gazzaputt said:
You know you handled it well.

Deep breath and carry on it's what I'm learning to do.

gazzaputt,

If you listen to the video you will hear me laughing a fair bit. It didn't really upset me, as you say I had it covered. However, I just can't understand the mentality of 'must get past the cyclist at all costs......'

I just thought I would post it for tetedelacourse to prove that car drivers do shout at us, with no good reason :ohmy:

Tetedelacourse

magnatom said:
gazzaputt,

If you listen to the video you will hear me laughing a fair bit. It didn't really upset me, as you say I had it covered. However, I just can't understand the mentality of 'must get past the cyclist at all costs......'

I just thought I would post it for tetedelacourse to prove that car drivers do shout at us, with no good reason :ohmy:

I can't view it (at work) so I don't believe it happened^_^

It was probably something to do with the football:sad::biggrin:

Cab

Sometimes I find that the correct primary position is further out than that, but along that road with the traffic and parked cars you had I think you were in the right position. I wouldn't criticise your cycling there Mag, the fault here is all with the other guy. No point sending it to Plod is there?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Cab said:
Sometimes I find that the correct primary position is further out than that, but along that road with the traffic and parked cars you had I think you were in the right position. I wouldn't criticise your cycling there Mag, the fault here is all with the other guy. No point sending it to Plod is there?

Nah. He wasn't particularly aggressive when I spoke to him to be honest. Just another driver who thinks cyclists should be in cycle lanes....:ohmy:

Actually I think I could have been a little further out. After the hill I tend to drift back to the secondary position. I didn't drift all the way this time, but I didn't hold as good a primary as I should. Knowing he was there and impatient I should have held firm. I was too timid on this occasion...:biggrin:

Of course that's no excuse for his driving.

Cab

magnatom said:
Nah. He wasn't particularly aggressive when I spoke to him to be honest. Just another driver who thinks cyclists should be in cycle lanes....:ohmy:

Actually I think I could have been a little further out. After the hill I tend to drift back to the secondary position. I didn't drift all the way this time, but I didn't hold as good a primary as I should. Knowing he was there and impatient I should have held firm. I was too timid on this occasion...:biggrin:

Of course that's no excuse for his driving.

It takes a surprising amount of willpower/bloody mindedness to maintain primary position when theres a guy being such an arse behind you. You did pretty well there I thought.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

spindrift said:
He said what?

"Yeah, and I know about fxxxing ....something"?

I think it was something along the lines of:

"what would I want to go fxxxing about cycling for", although I can't be 100% on that.

Top Bottom