Mushrooms - can I eat 'em?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you could buy yourself a book on wild mushrooms... many are edible, some are not, some are loads of fun if you're a teenager... learn which is which and eat the good ones, it's a far better idea than just going to a boring old super-bloody-market when there's food to be had growing for free.

I have several books on mushrooms and fungi. I got all excited, found a page where I thought, yep, I'll recognise those no problem - turned the page and found that the next lot looked identical but they were at best going to make you xx( and at worst
162533894_dead-depressed-smiley-skull-and-crossbones-round-sticker.jpg
You need someone to show you what is ok and what isn't.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Agaricus placomyces - Poisonous

"For some people, Agaricus placomyces can be toxic. Like other phenolic-odored Agaricus species, it can cause gastrointestinal upsets. Other people, who are not affected by the toxicity, may find it edible. The mushroom's taste is not distinctive and somewhat unpleasant; the odor is usually unpleasant, but not necessarily distinctive. The flesh is white, and the base becomes yellow when bruised."

So, smelly, nasty-tasting and probably toxic. Mmmmm.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'd leave them alone, but then any, as in ANY, mushroom leaves me throwing up for several hours. I used to like them, then in my 20s I had a really bad reaction to mushroom soup. Since then I can't touch the damn things, much as I like them, they don't get on with me!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Survivalists also tell you that although there are a fair number of fungi that can be eaten, the food value of them is negligible, so not worth the risk to the uninitiated.

Wood Blewits were what Mum used to try and see off the family:
Wood blewits are generally regarded as a good edible, but they are known to cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. This is particularly likely if the mushroom is consumed raw, though allergic reactions are known even from cooked blewits. Wood blewits contain the sugar trehalose, which is edible for most people.
Blewits can be eaten as a cream sauce or sautéed in butter, but it is important not to eat them raw, which could lead to indigestion.

(Wiki quote)

ayceejay

Guru
A bloke in the pub told me that chimpanzees will eat anything a human will eat except meat and mushrooms, or was it meat with mushrooms growing on it?

Radchenister

Veteran
What's his forum name? ... badaboom :biggrin: !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Now that's magic!
I've just remembered standing in a queue to see The Specials in Coventry before they became well known outside of the city ...

Somebody in the queue had a huge bag of magic mushrooms from which he offered a handful to a couple of students ahead of me in the queue.

The students ate about 20 mushrooms each, waited a couple of minutes, but nowt much was happening so they decided that they hadn't eaten enough. They cadged another 20 each, wolfed them down; still nothing.

They ate 20 more each. By then we were getting close to the door.

Suddenly, one of the students started to get really agitated, followed shortly afterwards by his pal. They fled in terror, and were not seen again that night. It turned out that they were too scared to go home and spent half the night hiding inside a large bush, waiting for the hallucinations to stop!

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, FOLKS! :laugh:

robjh

Legendary Member
Wood blewits/bluelegs, inkcaps, field and parasol mushrooms, giant puffballs are all good to eat and fairly common in the UK, but the advice is still 'if in doubt, don't'. I've had many good meals of wild mushrooms, but stick to the varieties I know. A mushroom identification book with good pictures and descriptions is a must.

Top Bottom