Mushrooms - can I eat 'em?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
In Central Market Hall in Budapest, there is a display of mushrooms showing which ones are edible and which are toxic. There's two cabinets, one for mushrooms found in deciduous forests and one for coniferous forests. I was most impressed.

mushrooms1.jpg

Doseone

Guru
Below is a section from a military survival manual. Really not worth the risk.

WARNING
Do not eat mushrooms in a survival situation! The only way to tell if a mushroom is edible is by positive identification. There is no room for experimentation. Symptoms of the most dangerous mushrooms affecting the central nervous system may show up after several days have passed when it is too late to reverse their effects.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 2628488, member: 45"]I've just fried up some button mushrooms with home-grown jalapenos in golden syrup and served them up on bagels with proper pork sausages.[/quote]

What are improper pork sausages?

gbb

Legendary Member
Wood blewits/bluelegs, inkcaps, field and parasol mushrooms, giant puffballs are all good to eat and fairly common in the UK, but the advice is still 'if in doubt, don't'. I've had many good meals of wild mushrooms, but stick to the varieties I know. A mushroom identification book with good pictures and descriptions is a must.
Giant puffballs...hows about this bad boy :ohmy:..and he wasn't the biggest :wacko:
Image000.jpg

A field full of em..
Image004.jpg

They taste...err...ok, like.. meh..ok. I wouldnt bother again, they were a bit woody in taste (I didn't eat all of them :laugh:)

Saddle bum

Über Member
I just luuurve mushrooms, especially Shiitake mushrooms. They are supposed to be particularly beneficial.

However, I've never been tempted to go foraging for wild mushrooms - just not worth it.

Top Bottom