Mushrooms - can I eat 'em?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There's a load of these in the woods. I'd love to eat them, but I don't want to kill my family. Any ideas?

mush.jpg

Sorry it's such a crap pic - phone camera, very shady.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
:stop: If in any doubt whatsoever as to whether they are edible then leave them alone and go and buy some from Tescos

You should only pick mushrooms from............... a supermarket

I remember a few years ago the author of the Horse whisperer Nicholas Evans - who you would think was pretty intelligent nearly died by eating "mushrooms" he'd picked ....

:headshake: Seriously leave them where they are.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
you could buy yourself a book on wild mushrooms... many are edible, some are not, some are loads of fun if you're a teenager... learn which is which and eat the good ones, it's a far better idea than just going to a boring old super-bloody-market when there's food to be had growing for free.

Radchenister

Veteran
Kinda agree, although not something to gamble on; I washed and prepared some we found near the veg patch the other day, whilst Mrs Rad consulted the mushroom book. We couldn't identify them for certain so they were disposed of. Ours were most likely Common Ink Caps, which are edible but can react with alcohol, so as I had a nice bottle of red in, they were binned.

Not to be taken lightly this issue, I recall a public service film warning of caution with what you decide to eat, saw it when staying on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees sometime last millennia. The locals had quite a thing for the wild mushrooms, as well as getting ill or dropping dead.

Cubist

Still wavin'
My mother gave the family some pretty serious indigestion/ poisoning on some mis identified woodland stuff once. I for one am glad that I was away at the time,

Having said that, some parasol mushroom fried in butter are perhaps the best fungal delicacy I've eaten, and puffball steaks are awesome.

you could buy yourself a book on wild mushrooms... many are edible, some are not, some are loads of fun if you're a teenager... learn which is which and eat the good ones, it's a far better idea than just going to a boring old super-bloody-market when there's food to be had growing for free.

I sell car spares for a living.... I will leave the mushroom picking to people who pick mushrooms for a living if you don't mind:thumbsup:

ayceejay

Guru
I guy I knew who was a paratrooper, SAS, Green Beret typa guy told me that in survival training he learned that you can eat any fungus that grows on a tree if you are desperate. So unless you are desperate don't eat 'em is the message I came away with.

Top Bottom