Music for iPod thingy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Get the Blueprint album by Rory Gallagher as it has Race The Breeze on it which does what it says on the tin i.e. you'll do what you're doing quicker and harder.

simonali yours is very similar to mine.
just got my gym playlist on it at the moment, which apart from vast quantities of techno (dave clarke, cocoon label, john acquaviva, ricardo villalobos, richie hawtin) also features the pixies, gogol bordello, nezhnoe eto (bonkers russian music) etc. anything to drown out the really dreadful hard house they insist on blasting out in the gym.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Kirstie,

are you in a position to recommend some good techo? I mean the sort of stuff which starts off with one riff which gradually transmutes all the time, ideally in pieces which last 10 mins plus.

Andy in Sig said:
Kirstie,

are you in a position to recommend some good techo? I mean the sort of stuff which starts off with one riff which gradually transmutes all the time, ideally in pieces which last 10 mins plus.

Hell yes!!
You need stuff by Plastikman. Does exactly what you describe - it was recorded in the early to mid 90s but still sounds great. The guy behind Plastikman is Richie Hawtin, who is the best techno dj I have ever seen. So, you also need some Richie in your life - his best DJ recording by far is DE9 Transitions - if you're going to buy it, get the version with the surround sound DVD in it, which is just astonishing. Another incredible DJ recording, although moves through different genres of dance music, is called 'Fear and Loathing 2' by Luke Slater - it's a proper journey.

Generally DJs to look out for who play this kind of stuff are the ones I mentioned above: Richie Hawtin, John Acquaviva, Ricardo Villalobos, anything on the Cocoon Label, Dave Clarke, Luke Slater, Surgeon, Christian Vogel.

Techno is really past its heyday now - all these guys have been playing the same kind of thing for years, but do it really well.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
got to be some half man half biscuit on there…

what about some jock rock like franz ferdinand, or the fratellis?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Fnaar,

I used to think not until I bought the soundtrack to Run Lola Run and realised that there is some clever stuff.

You're not perchance thinking of (c)rap are you, which largely consists of bad tempered black chaps swearing and being misogynist?

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Kirstie said:
Hell yes!!
You need stuff by Plastikman. Does exactly what you describe - it was recorded in the early to mid 90s but still sounds great. The guy behind Plastikman is Richie Hawtin, who is the best techno dj I have ever seen. So, you also need some Richie in your life - his best DJ recording by far is DE9 Transitions - if you're going to buy it, get the version with the surround sound DVD in it, which is just astonishing. Another incredible DJ recording, although moves through different genres of dance music, is called 'Fear and Loathing 2' by Luke Slater - it's a proper journey.

Generally DJs to look out for who play this kind of stuff are the ones I mentioned above: Richie Hawtin, John Acquaviva, Ricardo Villalobos, anything on the Cocoon Label, Dave Clarke, Luke Slater, Surgeon, Christian Vogel.

Techno is really past its heyday now - all these guys have been playing the same kind of thing for years, but do it really well.

Thanks, then I shall start with Plastikman (Amazon willing). Disappointment on my part will result in you being tied down and forced to listen alternately to Max Bygraves and Dean Martin.

Andy in Sig said:
Thanks, then I shall start with Plastikman (Amazon willing). Disappointment on my part will result in you being tied down and forced to listen alternately to Max Bygraves and Dean Martin.

in which case I will bring my accordion and play it at you for a week non stop. people rarely recover from that ordeal.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Kirstie said:
Andy in Sig - you're in Germany, which is the home of techno! If you are ever in Berlin, the clubs to go to are Tresor or Weekend.

Funnily enough I'm in Berlin in April and May: two weeks each time. If I'm not too old, I might check it out.

simonali

Guru
Anyone like Tipper?

(I have no idea what sort of music it is, though)

There's a site somewhere with samples on it, I'll go find it.

Top Bottom