Music in my house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve got quite a few Sonos speakers dotted around the house, integrating my TV audio, internet music streaming and legacy HiFi. I no-longer recommend Sonos though, instead I advise people to steer clear after the way in which they announced the end of support for their 1st Gen speakers earlier this year. This kit is way too expensive to go end of life so soon.

MntnMan62

Über Member
£10 a month

And what are you listening to this streamed music on?

screenman

Legendary Member
Irene Reid has quite a lot of tracks on Spotify but I didn't find that one, I did find it by Bobby Blue Bland (which I think was the original release) and a few others

I just asked Alexa to play music by her, I am listening to get sing now, that is on basic Amazon.

vickster

Legendary Member
And what are you listening to this streamed music on?
Nothing, I don’t have any streaming service, I was just answering the question about how much it costs :smile:

I listen to music on my phone if out and about (iTunes of old or Amazon for downloads of past CD purchases), YouTube on my laptop when working, occasionally a CD on my Rotel separates in the lounge, CD in the car :okay: I’m a bit of a Luddite :laugh:

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
Done, at least for now. Small BT receiver plugged to the Soundstick. Works well, sounds good.

Next phase will be a new TV with BT output, and I’ll run that though the TaoTronics receiver into the Sounstick, effectively a sound bar.

off to browse TVs now!

SafetyThird

Many of the new LG and Samsung TV's have Apple TV built into them and appear as an airplay device. If you buy one of those you can stream music from any apple device to the tv.

Also, if you're a completely apple ecosystem, you could just get a couple of apple homepods which sound amazing and are apple's version of a Sonos.

If you already have a hifi, you could add a second hand airport express (the square flat version not the powerbrick version and plug that into your stereo as it then makes the stereo an airplay device. On Ebay those go for about £40-50.

I used to have a couple of thousand cd's but eventually took the time to rip them all in lossless format and put them on a NAS drive on my network and use an old iPad to control playing them through any or all of the music systems in the house. Add either a Spotify or Apple Music subscription and you've got pretty much all the music you could ever want.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
We have Bose speakers in every room and Spotify. The speakers are linked together so we use an old iPad to stream and control which speaker or combination of speakers it is coming through.
That's the theory anyway. In practice, I just jab randomly at it until it works by accident

Rock bus

Über Member
I’ve found the google chromecasts really good. Already have few systems dotted around house so just connected a chromecast and can stream to them all and also pick which rooms to play. Got 2 for £50 but bet can get cheaper on eBay.
cant see what more a Sonos system would offer?

johnblack

Über Member
We have a mix of Alexa's and Sonos through the house plus a Chromecast audio attached to my 20 year old 5.1 home cinema, that works really well.

I think IKEA now sell a range of wireless speakers that are made by Sonos but might be a bit cheaper, not heard them though.

icowden

Veteran
I use Amazon Music rather than Spotify. It's a bit cheaper at £8 per month (£7.95 I think). It has a very broad range of tracks. I quite like the way it will also offer "stations" and playlists that relate to the tracks you have been listening to. Yes it can sometimes trap you in a style bubble, but sometimes the playlists and stations will get you interested in someone you had't previously listened to.

I have a SONOS which I quite like, but I more often than not just listen on the PC speakers. The rest of the family tend to use their phones. I can also use the SONOS to listen to all the tracks stored on my PC, although most are available on Amazon.

i bought a NAS for backup but have now decided to use it for music.
i have a load of CDs and vinyl. i was actively buying CDs up until a month ago when i decided to RIP the whole CD collection to the NAS (i haven't had a record player for years so they will continue to gather dust :shy:)
i use an app called PLEX on the xbox or the TV downstairs and just play through the TV with soundbar etc

i've basically been dragged kicking and screaming into the digital era. i always said i'd continue to buy the CDs but things change i guess. i do hate the idea of paying a subscription and not having my own collection of MP3s so i am still buying digital albums for download. i quite enjoy administering my own collection. 🤟

johnblack

Über Member
How do you find time to listen to music? I barely have enough time in the day to work and commute ,after that by the time I get home and do stuff with kids it's bedtime the only TV I see is the news in the morning
It's always on in our house, as soon as I get downstairs it gets turned on, and again as soon as I get home. On all day now with WFH. My kids have their Alexas on alarm, wake up to one of their playlists. Something on all day at weekends too, I hate a silent house!

johnblack

Über Member
I still buy actual CD's and vinyl from a record shop. I would never stream or use internet for music.
I still buy some stuff, in fact two EP's today. But technology has allowed me access to so much stuff that I'd have otherwise never been aware of, so I could never dismiss it. For a new band to get their stuff out, it's essential.

Top Bottom