Music with Tabla and Sitar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I hoping that the knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum can help me to select some music.

I have been asked by my Mother to find some music from India that can be played at her funeral. We lived in India for four years and she has always enjoyed the Sitar music of Ravi Shankar.

Has anyone any suggestions for a serene piece of music for the start of the Service, and a more buoyant up-beat piece of music for the end of the Service.

On tinternet I have found some music, but I am having difficulty finding a suitable selection that she could choose from. I like the ones in which a Sitar is accompanied by other instruments, for instance the Tabla or other drums.

I would be happy to purchase some cds if anyone can suggest one (or more) with a variety of music on it. I think an instrumental would be preferable to ones with voices.

Reactions: gbb

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ravi's daughter is good,

View: https://youtu.be/RzoO756PvL8

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you are struggling to find Indian music, have a read up on Kashmiri Love Song by Amy Woodforde-Finden. I can't type the full details here but you'll find that it fits perfectly with your Mum's time and place being composed in India by a colonial wife and rather lovely at that:

View: https://youtu.be/tY0jwF8ZNQI

Last edited:
How soon do you want it?
I can find some suggestions in couple of days.
Are you ok with singing or do you only want instruments? Because there are many film scenes that you can find those kind of music, say by latha manheshkar

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
No rush for the music. I would rather spend some time finding the appropriate music. I would prefer music only rather than singing. If it is on a cd, so much the better. It will be played on some sort of music system, in a small church. I am not confident with music downloads, but could probably find someone who is.

The Ravi Shankar (or his daughter) seem to be quite long pieces of music (circa fifteen minutes) which is fine for the music at the end of the service. I had envisaged something shorter for the start of the service.

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have now got two pieces of music for her funeral service: the music associated with the Shipping News on BBC World Service, and Acker Bilk "Stranger on the Shore".

This means that the Sitar and or Tabla music could be at the end of the service, and therefore one of the longer pieces as suggested above.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far, more suggestions will be welcome.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Indian music can be so evocative; years ago when I used to travel around Pakistan on business I fell in love with the music they played in PIA aircraft when on the ground but could never get it on cassette.

Top Bottom