Must Have Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Big John said:
........and some nylon ties for the unexpected! (Mudguards falling off,etc)

Indeed! Velcro straps and leccy tape are also quite handy to have in the tool kit.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Norm said:
Wow. I'd have thought no more than two of those would be required. Isn't there a lot of duplication, if not triplication, in that collection?

Depends if the P**** fairy strikes do not want to be left high and dry if i get multiples as i cycle on glass strewn stretch

GrasB

Veteran
Minimum: Pump, tyre levers, 2 inner tubes or more, mobile phone, some cash & a credit/debit card.

Recommended: as above plus full wallet, cable ties, electrical tape, multi-tool, bright torch/front light (yes even during the day!), a water bottle, re-hydration sachet & some form of energy to drink/eat.

Norm

cyberknight said:
Depends if the P**** fairy strikes do not want to be left high and dry if i get multiples as i cycle on glass strewn stretch
Indeed. It looks to me like puncture kit plus instant patches plus seal aerosol all do the same, though. No criticism, though, I'm sure that many would smirk at some of the stuff I carry with me. :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Norm said:
Indeed. It looks to me like puncture kit plus instant patches plus seal aerosol all do the same, though. No criticism, though, I'm sure that many would smirk at some of the stuff I carry with me. :smile:

I have not told them about the fishnet stocking honest !! :biggrin:

Your probably right all i can say i have had 1 puncture in the last 12 months and i managed to pump it up and get home so i bear my bag of extras as a good luck charm :ohmy:

Norm

cyberknight said:
Your probably right all i can say i have had 1 puncture in the last 12 months and i managed to pump it up and get home so i bear my bag of extras as a good luck charm :ohmy:
Ah.... I'd missed the most obvious use. I have an umbrella which has never seen rain. I can open the front door to a deluge and the sun is out before I have the brolly up. :smile:

OP
OP
Y

Yorkshire Lad

Wow, guys, some response! Thanks a lot. I think we may be able to breal this down into a few parts.

Pump, puncture repair kit, inner tube, levers.

Multi-tools, I suppose that this means something like an array of different sized allen keys (I have a key ring {oddly} with around 8-10 different sizes which could just slot into my bag) Adjustable spanners. Chain splitter.
- Looking at my road bike it looks like it is mainly allen keys if I didn't do serious damage. Quick release etc.

Then we have like the miscellaneous category which will include: Phone, torch, food, water, coins/ money, kitchen sink, warm clothes etc.

Shouldn't go far wrong with those and a little back pack?

adscrim

Veteran
Having had a chain snap on a ride, I always take a couple of spare links with me. Multi tool includes a chain splitter. I've never got round to power links but I guess these would do the job.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Something else. Most of us, including me, have mobile (cel) phones now, but I still carry change for a public phone (X2) in the zippered pocket of my seat pouch. Never know when you might need it -- if you forget your phone or lose coverage.

GrasB

Veteran
Randochap said:
Something else. Most of us, including me, have mobile (cel) phones now, but I still carry change for a public phone (X2) in the zippered pocket of my seat pouch. Never know when you might need it -- if you forget your phone or lose coverage.
Around these parts most phone boxes don't accept cash anymore ;)

Top Bottom