Must see places on the way up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rebel Ian

Carrying on from bridge fetish's are you going over the Severn Bridge towards Chepstow ? That is amazing to ride over. Also you have Tintern Abbey just up the road from there and a nice stop off for food at the Old Station not far from Tintern.

That's the road we took from Chepstow to Monmouth. Really good road, especially once you've done all the clmbing. Have got some great pics of Tintern Abbey.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Turn left at the traffic lights in Carnforth on the A6.

Go 400 yards down to the railway station and take your bike through the underpass to the middle platform (Southbound). There's the visitors centre, the clock and platform scene from the film 'Brief Encounters' and the Tea Room.

Half an hour later you're on your way again.

The white cliffs of Dover are a must see, as are the Norfolk Broads... and St. David's is delightful this time of year, as is Anglesey and Lindisfarne... no LEJOG is complete without taking in these sights

Not the most direct route though?

The Scottish Highlands is without question the absolute "must see". The journey on the A82 along Loch Lomond then up into the mountains and out the other side into Glencoe is the most breathtaking bike ride I will ever do. We did 96 miles that day and I'd do them again tomorrow. Amazing. Definitely the way to go rather than the A9.

Done this one on my motorcycle, glencoe and its surroundings is absolutley breathtaking, when its clear anyway. While your at it stop in fort william and walk up ben nevis as that truly is britain at its best. Another route I would reccomend is the A87 from loch ness to isle of skye, another outstanding scenery route. The A9 through the cairngorms is great too but its not as good as the western part of scotland, try this one on your way back.

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
The B873 alongside Loch Naver was probably the most beautiful part of my trip. Google streetview is pretty cool for checking out the scenery!

just jim

The B873 alongside Loch Naver was probably the most beautiful part of my trip. Google streetview is pretty cool for checking out the scenery!

Yep. The best part of the trip for me too. It made me feel thankful! I stopped there to munch my breakfast that the B+B lady had kindly turned into sandwiches. A lovely moment of calm.

kyussmondo

St Michaels Mount just east of Penzance is a nice view over the beach. The Severn Bridge (M48) was also a nice view from the side road from the south. Herefordshire and Shropshire were also nice, I haven't really visited either much before. Lancaster and Kendal are both quite nice. The Isle of Arran is a beautiful place and most of Scotland is nice especially around Glencoe and Fort William hence why it is such a tourist hotspot.

Stay on the scenic routes and most of the UK is a beautiful scenic place.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
we went from kilmarnock to oban via arran and it was stunning - the next day was oban to dingwall and was just as good if not better - we did bypass inverness and went through drumnadrochit to beauly but be warned there was a stinker of a hill in the way - a proper one . also on arran there is a surprise sting in the tail
whistling.gif
i have the gpx file of complete route if you want it
Not long till I set off now. I've got a couple more days than I originally thought to do the trip, 13. I want to go via Arran the rest of the route is still in the planning (well copying what others have planned) stage. Any must see sights on the way? I was going to use the Avonmouth Bridge but if the Clifton Suspension Bridge is recommended I'll take that. Cheers!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm hoping to pop in on Central Park - home to my favourite Scottish team Cowdenbeath FC - or the blue Brazil as they are also known. I've noticed my route will mean it would only be a short detour. It would be great to time it right for a game. Now who on earth could resist that?!

Attachments

• Cowdenbeath FC.jpg
    Cowdenbeath FC.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 45

RoyW

Regular
I came the other way but would agree that Scotland is the highlight. The far north is great with views over the sea and (relative to Devon and Cornwall) a surprisingly flat road. Around Loch Ness and on to Spleen Bridge (let's get as many variants as possible) with its commando memorial with breathtaking views and then on to climb Glen Coe and down to Loch Lomond. And then Glasgow....oh well.

If the photos of my trip are anything to go by the next thing worth seeing was the Forest of Dean and Tintern Abbey, across the severn bridge and then the Clifton bridge. I was using main roads though so probably missed the better sights in between.

My absolute highlight was Glen Coe. But I've not been the A9 route - others may think that better.

Riding a Scott Carbon CR1
A wise man once said that people who make quotes have too much time on their hands

theloafer

Legendary Member
+1
The Scottish Highlands is without question the absolute "must see". The journey on the A82 along Loch Lomond then up into the mountains and out the other side into Glencoe is the most breathtaking bike ride I will ever do. We did 96 miles that day and I'd do them again tomorrow. Amazing. Definitely the way to go rather than the A9.

Top Bottom