My 15 seconds of fame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuickDraw

You deserve a knighthood never mind a medal. I salute you.

An excellent result. Let's hope the message spreads and we eventually get the respect we deserve from all road users.

Your idea for a TV show is excellent as well, maybe even First could help with that, it might be good exposure for them nationally. It might make it even better if we had the bus driver cycling near the bus being driven by the cyclist, that would really make it interesting.

PS if you live in Anniesland and work in the Southern why do they think you have a 10 mile round trip? Is the tunnel a no-go for cyclists?

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
I like this (despite the call for more cycle facilities!). I wonder if I can get the paper involved in the campaign......:biggrin:

I dunno, "More bike-friendly measures" doesn't have to be crappy lanes. It could be training, more bike racks, good cycle route maps, decent facilities to help cyclists across tricky junctions (allowing a shortcut or toucan crossing or contra-flow perhaps). We all whinge about crap facilities, but there's no doubt a good one can be really useful.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

QuickDraw said:
You deserve a knighthood never mind a medal. I salute you.

An excellent result. Let's hope the message spreads and we eventually get the respect we deserve from all road users.

Your idea for a TV show is excellent as well, maybe even First could help with that, it might be good exposure for them nationally. It might make it even better if we had the bus driver cycling near the bus being driven by the cyclist, that would really make it interesting.

PS if you live in Anniesland and work in the Southern why do they think you have a 10 mile round trip? Is the tunnel a no-go for cyclists?

About 5 miles there, 5 miles back. I don't go by the direct route, I take a bit of a detour into Jordanhill to avoid the worst of the 'rat run'. I really like going through the tunnel. Have a look at my videos for some footage (see my signature)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Arch said:
I dunno, "More bike-friendly measures" doesn't have to be crappy lanes. It could be training, more bike racks, good cycle route maps, decent facilities to help cyclists across tricky junctions (allowing a shortcut or toucan crossing or contra-flow perhaps). We all whinge about crap facilities, but there's no doubt a good one can be really useful.

Sorry Arch, I meant the bit about keeping the cycle lanes are kept clear. Generally the cycle lanes I see, cyclists should keep clear!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Down here in Brum there's a regional programme on some weeks at 7.30pm,
which covers exactly this kind of story. Do they do that up there? It might be worth contacting the BBC.

Aye I will look into it. I'm not very well versed in current affairs programs. I don't have much time for the TV with the family.

QuickDraw

magnatom said:
I really like going through the tunnel. Have a look at my videos for some footage (see my signature)

I'd heard too many horror stories about the tunnel that I haven't been through it for years but after your recommendation and videos I'll be trying it out tomorrow morning all going well.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

QuickDraw said:
I'd heard too many horror stories about the tunnel that I haven't been through it for years but after your recommendation and videos I'll be trying it out tomorrow morning all going well.

Quickdraw,

I've been through it nearly every day for the last 2.5 years and I have hardly any problems. Occasionally the neds are in their, but they never seem to bother. They generally just ask if there are any other boys in the tunnel.

I did once encounter a moped coming the other way once (unfortunately before I had the camera :biggrin:. I go through at about 8:30am and 5:15pm. I'd probably avoid it at 3am!:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Oh, and do we have to call you Doctor now?

Nah, I don't know anyone who calls me doctor. Unless of course I count the times when my wife wears the nurse outfit.....:biggrin::ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Aye I will look into it. I'm not very well versed in current affairs programs. I don't have much time for the TV with the family.

Sounds like Inside Out... They generally cover about 3 features in half an hour, or one if it's a really big one (something that's made the national news perhaps).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/

Careful, all this talk of the BBC, simon will be along in a minute...

QuickDraw

magnatom said:
Quickdraw,

I've been through it nearly every day for the last 2.5 years and I have hardly any problems. Occasionally the neds are in their, but they never seem to bother. They generally just ask if there are any other boys in the tunnel.

I did once encounter a moped coming the other way once (unfortunately before I had the camera :biggrin:). I go through at about 8:30am and 5:15pm. I'd probably avoid it at 3am!:biggrin:

The horror stories were running through my mind as I hurtled down the southbound tunnel around 7.30 this morning but apart from that it was f*cking brilliant. I even enjoyed the climb out the other side. That wee steep bit right at the end nearly killed me but it was worth it. I won't use it every day but from now on it will definitely form part of my detours.

If I'm there at 8.30 one morning and you fly past me on the uphill be gentle with me. I'd rather not see a video on YouTube entitled Wee Fat Cyclist Slows Me To a Crawl. :biggrin:

Top Bottom