My 15 seconds of fame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuickDraw

Tetedelacourse said:
Are you talking about THE Clyde Tunnel? I didn't think cyclists were allowed through it. Must be a bit fumey?

Yes THE clyde tunnel but don't worry there's a seperate part for cyclists and pedestrians, one northbound and one southbound that goes under the roadway. It's the ultimate in segregated cycling facillities.

Tetedelacourse

QuickDraw said:
Yes THE clyde tunnel but don't worry there's a seperate part for cyclists and pedestrians, one northbound and one southbound that goes under the roadway. It's the ultimate in segregated cycling facillities.

Well today has been worthwhile. 7 years in Glasgow (3 in Anniesland too:blush:) and I never knew that. There is no end to my ignorance.:blush:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I wonder if Douglas Harrison (non-executive director of First Bus) could be persuaded to take the Give Cyclists Room campaign company wide. First Bus drivers here in Edinburgh don't seem to have been told about it... Keep up the good work Mag.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Arch said:
Sounds like Inside Out... They generally cover about 3 features in half an hour, or one if it's a really big one (something that's made the national news perhaps).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/

Careful, all this talk of the BBC, simon will be along in a minute...

Hmm, a possibility. I will look seriously into this next week.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

:blush:
QuickDraw said:
The horror stories were running through my mind as I hurtled down the southbound tunnel around 7.30 this morning but apart from that it was f*cking brilliant. I even enjoyed the climb out the other side. That wee steep bit right at the end nearly killed me but it was worth it. I won't use it every day but from now on it will definitely form part of my detours.

If I'm there at 8.30 one morning and you fly past me on the uphill be gentle with me. I'd rather not see a video on YouTube entitled Wee Fat Cyclist Slows Me To a Crawl. :smile:

Glad you liked it! Yes that bit at the end is the real killer. I have seen many a cyclist falter there (not me of course :biggrin:)

I'm a bit naughty and hit just over 30mph at the bottom, which is a little risky due to the lack of space. For some interesting info on the tunnel, have a look here http://www.holdyourbreath.org/facts/facts.html

Keep an eye out for me, you now know what I look like!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hairy Jock said:
I wonder if Douglas Harrison (non-executive director of First Bus) could be persuaded to take the Give Cyclists Room campaign company wide. First Bus drivers here in Edinburgh don't seem to have been told about it... Keep up the good work Mag.

I'm already on it. I think the article in the ET was good for them, so hopefully they will be happy to expand it for some more publicity. I have contacted the PR section of First in the first instance, but Doug might be worth contacting as well.

MLS

Magnatom: you're a doctor at a hospital? I thought you said in response to a comment on Youtube that you're a physicist. What do you do... radiotherapy? Imaging?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

MLS said:
Magnatom: you're a doctor at a hospital? I thought you said in response to a comment on Youtube that you're a physicist. What do you do... radiotherapy? Imaging?

I'm not a doctor by job title, but I am a clinical physicist with a PhD. I work with hospital scanners. Have a look at my avatar which is a rendered picture of my brain! :blush:

Mag - Saw a piece on you in "The Metro" last week (Glasgow Ed). Man - you're famous.

Do I win a camera next time?

Stig.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Stig-OT-Dump said:
Mag - Saw a piece on you in "The Metro" last week (Glasgow Ed). Man - you're famous.

Do I win a camera next time?

Stig.

I heard I made it into the metro, but I haven't seen it. I wouldn't think it made it past the Glasgow edition though :biggrin:

I never fix a competition, how dare you suggest that!:smile:

Pretty boy time, you still owe me that tenner :blush:

Top Bottom