My 1st Close Overtake with Helmet Cam X262 XBX Bromley Mini Coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalog

Über Member
This is my first close overtake since acquiring a Contour HD. Happened on Friday 30th April at approx 7:30 am.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9RbU2OrmJg
. I'm not sure if I could have ridden better but it was no excuse, he was determined to overtake no matter what.:smile:. I will send the footage to their company tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation, I feel a lot more confident with the camera and I feel that unnecessary overtake has been few and far between. All I have to do is look back show them the cam and they will abort some stupid overtake.:smile:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
You'll get the usual ten pages of debate about your road positioning but that's largely irrelevant - the overtake was a bad'n. My guess (only a guess) is that he was peeved at you filtering past him earlier and decided a 'punishment pass' was in order.

If you're contacting the company, try and speak to someone on the phone and pass on the footage to them, rather than 'cold-call' the link in an email. i get the impression from my own experiences and those of a few others on here that this usually works better.

Also expect the hand-shandy practitioners to appear on your Youtube comments. It's a rights-of-passage.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
I think you lot are right about him being peeved off after being overtaken, I did'nt realised this until I had a second look. He can't be that awake as he didn't see my cam.

Tynan

Veteran
blimey, I didn't think there ws space for a minibus to pass there

and with you presumably ever so slightly wobbling your way up a rather serious hill

Crankarm

Guru
Euk!!! Just enough space to slide a spoke between you and the passing minibus. What a bully.

Your footage does seem dark. Would the foreground brightness improve by angling the camera very slightly down as I think the brightness of the sky may be causing the camera metering to close the lens down thus making the foreground very dark. Only move it very slightly down mind so the horizon is just a small strip at the top of the screen. There might be a bit of trial and error and several test rides to achieve the perfect balance. Otherwise you are missing a lot of valuable detail as you simply cannot see it.

HTH.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The only thing that people will suggest is to take more control of the lane to help stop this, so by cycling in the middle you leave him no option but to stay behind you.

Crankarm said:
Your footage does seem dark. Would the foreground brightness improve by angling the camera very slightly down as I think the brightness of the sky may be causing the camera metering to close the lens down thus making the foreground very dark. Only move it very slightly down mind so the horizon is just a small strip at the top of the screen. There might be a bit of trial and error and several test rides to achieve the perfect balance. Otherwise you are missing a lot of valuable detail as you simply cannot see it.

On a side note to crankarm's recommendations, try changing the metering to average and have a fiddle with the settings, it will take a while to get perfect.

User3143 said:
Show 'em the door and the bastards will drive through it. Good luck with the firm, piss poor driving from a PSV driver who should know better.

Definitely.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
User3143 said:
Show 'em the door and the bastards will drive through it. Good luck with the firm, piss poor driving from a PSV driver who should know better.
Yes, quite deliberate disregard for your safety. What a knobhead of a driver.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Finally a video of somewhere I recognise!!! :sun:

But yeah report the git! Way too close, I'd probably have chased him down and had a word but then my missus says that attitude will get me killed one day! :sad:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Manalog, next time...maybe avoid the Vale all together and take a turning next to the concert halls into the cator estate (Blackheath park), first left by the church into Pond road gives a nice long downhill run to the pond on South row (by the old Clarendon Hotel...where you were heading on the vid)....it avoids the nasty climb up the vale in heavy traffic (with all the different junctions to contend with) and is very pretty this time of year.

Back to the vid, it was a very close pass, I didnt think enough room existed for him to fit past and was shocked that he popped into frame!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
User3143 said:
True, but would you class this as "showing him the door"? The OP seemed to be almost in the centre of the lane and was forced across by the passing of the dickhead in the minibus... don't think I'd have been in a different position, would you? (and if so, how and where?)

Sh4rkyBloke said:
True, but would you class this as "showing him the door"? The OP seemed to be almost in the centre of the lane and was forced across by the passing of the dickhead in the minibus... don't think I'd have been in a different position, would you? (and if so, how and where?)

I don't know why but this does not surprise me...just the slightest of gaps and they bully their way through.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I was riding in very strong secondary and was about to take the lane but couldn't. Perhaps if I did took the lane he would have rammed me from behind. If you look at the angle when he overtook and I didn't brake I wouldn't have much room as there was a car parked on the left side.

Gaz, What are your settings my mic seems a bit low and the pic quality not so great. Also are you using a Class6 Micro SD?
I'll try and play with the settings but I need to update the Firmware first

Top Bottom