My 1st Cyclosportive - OUCH !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the weekend just gone I took part in my first ever Sportive "DARTMOOR CLASSIC" my godfathers it was hard work,it was painful,it was hot,it was more up than down,it was a long day,it was thirsty work,it basically was everything !!! ,but I completed it !!! and have finally got my senses back !!! i have to admit that at 2/3rd of the way around(66 miles) at the second feed station i wanted to give up as i was shattered,but remember my nephew saying that I must complete it and so carried on ,even though there were 2, 1 in 5 hills at 72 and 82 miles and both required walking up(even with a triple:blush:) also running out of fluid at 63 miles was a little frightening and finally the last 15miles with both cleats worn out,pedalling was rather interesting:biggrin:

and so I crossed the line 9hrs 49mins later,2 very painful blisters,9 litres of fluid drunk and 12 for the day,11000feet of climbing,102 miles,8900 calories burnt and a max HR of 99%,I didnt know whether to laugh or cry.Who would of thought that at Christmas i weighed 19st 11lbs(now 16st 7lbs) and would of completed the Dartmoor Classic .

And finally at 10.45pm i got back to Borehamwood,stopped at the Lots of Rice take away ordered a special chow mein and pancake roll ,only ate 1/2 of it(which isnt like me)10 mins later i was in bed, I looked at my alarm clock 11.19pm and that was it !!!!!!

ETAPE 2008,BRING IT ON !!!!!!!!:biggrin:

-----------------------------
p.s just like to say a big thank you to the organisers of the Dartmoor Classic for a superbly well organised event,well signposted ,excellent marshalling,well stocked feed stations,but please -NO MORE NUTRIGRAIN BARS :rolleyes:

p.p.s thoroughly recommend the good old chamois cream for any long distance event:biggrin:

dodgy

Well done Gezza, that's quite an achievement, particularly in light of your weight at Christmas!

Dave.

ChrisKH

Guru
Good result Gezza. I spent two days bent over in the garden and have legs like bowstrings now. I would have preferred the Sportive I think! I'm not surprised you drank so much. It was very hot and I drank a lot and I wasn't even moving. You finishing is a much better result than you think. I'm not sure I would have.

yenrod

After years of riding - ive actually found why I start to lag in the effort department as Gezza has pointed out: drinking lots is ESSENTIAL and I feel I dont do enough of it whether your exercising or not !!!!!

muchas gracias everyone :rolleyes:

next on the agenda is a recce to the pyrenees next week,followed by 3 more sportives and a final ride at the ardechoise in france on the 21 june and then the biggy on 6 july !!!!!

Top Bottom