1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 1st Cyclosportive - OUCH !!!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by gezza, 13 May 2008.

1. the weekend just gone I took part in my first ever Sportive "DARTMOOR CLASSIC" my godfathers it was hard work,it was painful,it was hot,it was more up than down,it was a long day,it was thirsty work,it basically was everything !!! ,but I completed it !!! and have finally got my senses back !!! i have to admit that at 2/3rd of the way around(66 miles) at the second feed station i wanted to give up as i was shattered,but remember my nephew saying that I must complete it and so carried on ,even though there were 2, 1 in 5 hills at 72 and 82 miles and both required walking up(even with a triple:blush:) also running out of fluid at 63 miles was a little frightening and finally the last 15miles with both cleats worn out,pedalling was rather interesting:biggrin:

and so I crossed the line 9hrs 49mins later,2 very painful blisters,9 litres of fluid drunk and 12 for the day,11000feet of climbing,102 miles,8900 calories burnt and a max HR of 99%,I didnt know whether to laugh or cry.Who would of thought that at Christmas i weighed 19st 11lbs(now 16st 7lbs) and would of completed the Dartmoor Classic .

And finally at 10.45pm i got back to Borehamwood,stopped at the Lots of Rice take away ordered a special chow mein and pancake roll ,only ate 1/2 of it(which isnt like me)10 mins later i was in bed, I looked at my alarm clock 11.19pm and that was it !!!!!!

ETAPE 2008,BRING IT ON !!!!!!!!:biggrin:

-----------------------------
    p.s just like to say a big thank you to the organisers of the Dartmoor Classic for a superbly well organised event,well signposted ,excellent marshalling,well stocked feed stations,but please -NO MORE NUTRIGRAIN BARS :rolleyes:

p.p.s thoroughly recommend the good old chamois cream for any long distance event:biggrin:

2. dodgy

dodgy Veteran

Well done Gezza, that's quite an achievement, particularly in light of your weight at Christmas!

Dave.

3. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Good result Gezza. I spent two days bent over in the garden and have legs like bowstrings now. I would have preferred the Sportive I think! I'm not surprised you drank so much. It was very hot and I drank a lot and I wasn't even moving. You finishing is a much better result than you think. I'm not sure I would have.

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Nice one Gezza! :rolleyes:

You are making serious progress. Respect!

5. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

6. bryce

bryce Senior Member

Seconded. Great training for the etape.

7. Hey well done that man! Remember in these things that you can (nearly) always ride through pain and come out the other side OK. And keep putting the energy in!

8. yenrod

yenrod Guest

After years of riding - ive actually found why I start to lag in the effort department as Gezza has pointed out: drinking lots is ESSENTIAL and I feel I dont do enough of it whether your exercising or not !!!!!

9. muchas gracias everyone :rolleyes:

next on the agenda is a recce to the pyrenees next week,followed by 3 more sportives and a final ride at the ardechoise in france on the 21 june and then the biggy on 6 july !!!!!

10. walker

walker New Member

Keep it up big fella, who knows, you might even be able to challenge me on those up hill sprints

11. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Well done - next time take the road shoes off before walking (or not walk).

Fantastic effort...that's a long time in the saddle !