My 1st incident, should I report it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bugner

After 6 months of commuting, I had my first major incident and it was not what I was expecting ie it didn't involve a car or a pedestrian.

On my way home tonight, going at a fair lick, I noticed movement to my left out of the corner of my eye. A few seconds later a squirrel runs out in front of me, quickly followed by a black cat, slammed on my brakes, but unfortunately ran it over and there was all sorts of noises. I was clipped in, just manged to stay upright and ended up at a stand still leaning against a car.

Cat limped into and dissappeared into a front garden. I tried looking for it but to no avail, asked a couple of people if they saw where the cat went but couldn't find it.

Didn't know what else to do??

Hope the cat makes it home and can then get checked over

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ooh, unlucky you! I ran over a pigeon a while ago, so I know I'd be a lot more upset about running over a cat. Nothing you could have done, and I'm not sure whether you'd have much success in tracking down the owner? Btw, if you were serious about wanting to report it, I think you don't need to legally for a cat, but you do for a dog.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cat will go home..... don't worry (we have three of them) - Nothing you can do....... No need to report anything for a cat - they do what they want !

They are hardy things, just don't get on too well with being run over by cars......

The noise will be the usual shriek....pain, and 'get the hell out of here'.... sound's worse than it is........it's also a defensive noise....

Maz

Guru
Bugner said:
Hope the cat makes it home and can then get checked over
A lot of people take out pet insurance these days, so they can get it checked over. They normally get a courtesy pet in the interim period.

Maz said:
A lot of people take out pet insure these days, so they can get it checked over. They normally get a courtesy pet in the interim period.
:ohmy:

wafflycat

Cats are legally treated as a 'free spirit' in law (England & Wales) relating to such incidents hence no need to report to the police. Unlike if it had been a dog, which the law recognises as being an animal able to be controlled by its owner. In the case of a dog, if it causes any damage to you or your bike, you can claim recompense from the owner.

Whilst I can understand that not everyone is a cat lover, what I find hugely distasteful is the blatant wanting to cause harm to them by some of the posters. It speaks volumes about the poster and not in a nice way. heck, I'm not particularly a dog lover, but I'd never advocate harming them the way some of the posters on the forum advocate harming cats. Blecch :birthday:

peanut

wafflycat said:
Cats are legally treated as a 'free spirit' in law (England & Wales) relating to such incidents hence no need to report to the police. Unlike if it had been a dog, which the law recognises as being an animal able to be controlled by its owner. In the case of a dog, if it causes any damage to you or your bike, you can claim recompense from the owner.

Whilst I can understand that not everyone is a cat lover, what I find hugely distasteful is the blatant wanting to cause harm to them by some of the posters. It speaks volumes about the poster and not in a nice way. heck, I'm not particularly a dog lover, but I'd never advocate harming them the way some of the posters on the forum advocate harming cats. Blecch :wacko:

I couldn't agree more. I expect the majority of these flippant remarks are from younger members trying to show off and look cool .

Not so cool when you are on the end of a good kicking from another person of the same mindset.!

.Every life is precious to me ,I make no distintion. I cannot understand the mind that would take pleasure in harming other people's pets or wildlife .Probably the kind of mind that would enjoy dog and cock fighting and blood sports.:tongue: shooting wildlife from the safety of their vehicles by lamps at night ...cowards

What worries me is if one day I should find someone harming an animal.

Top Bottom