my 1st SPD shoes & pedals (help)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

The silicon (or anything else similar) is a good tip because it stops small stones getting stuck in the countersunk hex socket. I wouldn't bother with it until you are totally happy with the positioning of the cleats.

PS I know the clipping and unclipping feels odd at first but it does become second nature. In the long run I don't think you'll regret it.

bonj2

it's better to leave your left foot clipped in all the time, and unclip your right foot when you need to stop at junctions.

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

well these things take time i think, feels good along the flats and rideing up hill was a lot better (out of the saddle)

buggi

Bird Saviour
it doesn't matter which foot you unclip with as long as you remember that you put down the opposite foot to the one in the 6 o'clock position, as this is just the natural balancing position (if you don't believe me do it on normal pedals and you will see whichever foot you put down, the one that remains on the pedal is always at the 6 o'clock position).

it is easier to unclip at the bottom, but if you do this then rotate your pedals backwards half a turn so your "clipped in" foot is at the bottom and your unclipped foot is at the top, before you put your unclipped foot down, otherwise you will try and put the wrong foot down and fall off. This happened to me 3 times before i realised why i was falling off Doh! ;)

you will also find that you usually put down the left or right foot most depending on whether you are left or right handed.

k-dog

I find they need a good greasing when you take them out of the box. When I had my first pair years and years ago I just threw them on my bike and rode like that for a few months. It was only later when I was fiddling with things I gave them a squirt of grease and they felt great - just as firm a grip but they were just much more positive when releasing and clipping in.

OP
OP
urbanrider

urbanrider

Well rode in again without any problems, but last night i made some changes, i have the right cleat much further back then the left and find this a lot better for me

SamNichols

Today I went the whole hog and bought proper road pedals - Look Keos and road shoes. As Fran is my best bike, she's only being used for training rides from now on (I've got my old mountain bike as a run around).

Top Bottom