My 20 minute Cragg Vale hill climb challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just look out for spray painted lines on the side of the road and some letters/numbers. This will be the course start and finish. Bloody vandals those cyclists. :laugh:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just look out for spray painted lines on the side of the road and some letters/numbers. This will be the course start and finish. Bloody vandals those cyclists. :laugh:

There are actually km or mile markings all the way up on Cragg Vale, lol! When I raced it I noticed the 1 and the 4, and that was it :tongue:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That is quite a challenge you've set yourself. I've never ridden Cragg Vale (just a bit too far to cycle there and back from Glossop). The Snake Pass I guess is my comparable climb. The ascent there is about the same but it is 3.2 miles. The record for the Snake is about 11.35 so it gives a reasonable comparison with the Cragg Vale record.
I can only compute in terms of Snake Pass times so I guess your 20 minute target is something like 15 minutes on the Snake. That is "proper fast". I couldn't get close to that, even if I got rid of the last annoying stone and bought a fancy bike. I'm at 21 minutes for the Snake. Good luck

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have you had a 'test run' yet ?
Yes.
  • 19/5/2013: 39:15 on HC course [Probably when already reclotting!]
  • [29/9/2013: 34:01 for the full climb, but I am not counting that because it was wind-assisted]
  • 25/10/2013: 35:15 on HC course. 8-10 kph cross/headwind
  • 4/11/2013: 34:26 on HC course. Same wind conditions
So the sign is the start, where do/have you placed the finish?
No - I am using the HC start/finish. I have updated my post to show them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You've just reminded me that I was going to add my photographs from the recent HC to my first post, so I'll do that now!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah, you wanted that post moving eh. Not sure I know how to move just one post ! Get retyping you lazy sausage ! :tongue:
No - I wanted that post plus all the following ones that replied to it moving! :thumbsup:

Hmm, I'm wondering if I requested the right post ... I meant this one and the next 7 posts.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Chapeau to you Colin.
I can barely do 5 miles on the flat in 20 min, never tried 5 miles uphill, never cycled while recovering from a major illness.
The 3 put together? :eek:
It's a fab goal, wish you all the best in achieving it :hugs:

Top Bottom