My 20 minute Cragg Vale hill climb challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a bus turning area halfway up the steeper section in the middle of the climb. I know from experience of doing the climb frequently over the years, that I get to that point about midway through my ride. I can tell by then whether I am track to hit my goal for the day. If I am, I push on and go for it. If I am struggling, I accept it, back off, and just twiddle my way up the second half.

I normally turn left at the top, descend towards Ripponden, and turn left along Blue Ball Lane for a quiet scenic ride back to Mytholmroyd. Looks nice, doesn't it ...

blue-ball-road-ripponden.jpg

view-down-coal-gate-road-wide.jpg

wind-power-greave-head-farm-wide.jpg

Unfortunately, that route gets a bit dodgy later in the year when ice is about ...

slippery_lanes.jpg

I have the option of turning right at the top, descending to Littleborough and returning home via Todmorden instead, all on A-roads, which should be kept clear of ice in any scenario in which I would still be cycling!.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I live a couple of miles from this ...

longest_hill.jpg
That looks like fun! :hyper: I think I'd like to have a go.

#Rushes off excitedly to try and find it on Google Maps#

Oh, and Colin, don't be too despondent about your times. You almost died, but your back on a bike and riding now. :highfive:

potsy

Rambler
I think I've only ridden up it once Colin, unfortunately I think it was pre-Garmin so have no idea what my time was, I do seem to remember keeping you company at the back of the group though :whistle:

Good luck with the challenge, will keep an eye on your progress :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 26715

I think I need to challenge myself just to survive to the top of that hill still astride a bike by this time next year.

Alan...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmmm, this looks like the place. If the weather improves a bit I'll have a go.
That's the one!

If you want an extended challenge, turn right at the top and descend to Littleborough, turn right at the lights and ride to Todmorden, and turn right at the mini-roundabout there and ride back to Mytholmroyd via Hebden Bridge. It is almost exactly 20 miles back to where you started. A lot of local chain gangs try do it in under the hour. I did it solo in 1 hr 9 mins once (17.4 mph average), so I reckon an hour will be very possible for me if I ever manage the climb in 20 minutes. (The descent to Littleborough is about 2.5 miles and only takes about 4-5 minutes, so that would leave 35 minutes to tackle the remaining 12.5 miles, an average speed for that of 21.4 mph.)

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
That's the one!

If you want an extended challenge, turn right at the top and descend to Littleborough, turn right at the lights and ride to Todmorden, and turn right at the mini-roundabout there and ride back to Mytholmroyd via Hebden Bridge. It is almost exactly 20 miles back to where you started. A lot of local chain gangs try do it in under the hour. I did it solo in 1 hr 9 mins once (17.4 mph average), so I reckon an hour will be very possible for me if I ever manage the climb in 20 minutes. (The descent to Littleborough is about 2.5 miles and only takes about 4-5 minutes, so that would leave 35 minutes to tackle the remaining 12.5 miles, an average speed for that of 21.4 mph.)

By luck I looked in my map box just now and I have a copy of OL21.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
That's the one!

Or do a U-turn in Littlebrough and go back up Blackstone Edge :smile: Lovely climb that!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Or do a U-turn in Littlebrough and go back up Blackstone Edge :smile: Lovely climb that!
Oh, I intended to suggest that alternative, but forgot - thanks!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I've tried to look at the gradient profile in RideWithGPS, but unfortunately there's something wrong and the gradient flatlines after about 1/2 mile. :sad:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

According to this Strava segment it's 3.8%
http://app.strava.com/segments/1187651
If the top 7 riders are not cheating, then they all went faster than the official HC record!

The average gradient for the entire hill (including the very shallow bits either end of the HC course) is about 3.3%.

Here's my version of the profile:

Cragg Vale climp profile.jpg

It's a very steady climb with one steeper section between 3 and 4 km of the full hill. The start and finish are almost flat, so the good folk of Mytholmroyd are stretching the definition of 'climb' to claim it as England's longest! By UK standards, it is still pretty long.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Those times are probably legit (as far as Strava times go). I recognise a few of the names up the top there, Ben G and Ali W for sure.

James Gullen's winning time of 16:18.4 the other week was around a minute outside of the course record which was set in much more favourable conditions apparently.

Top Bottom