My 2nd-hand Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
Blimey this is a steep learning curve. Been at it most of the day and I'm only half way there groan. Severely hampered by lack of wire cutters (toe nail clippers just aren't good enough, it seems) and I've done as much as I can without them. But.... the rear gears work - hurrah! Just need my husband to come back home so he can hold the back of my bike up and I can double check it's perfect. Hmm maybe I should invest in a workstand...!

Had an annoying moment today though when I went to the bike shop to get some cable housing cut and the guy was soooo patronising - put me in a really bad mood until I sweated it out in yoga. He was convinced that I hadn't measured it right but when I got home it was perfect grrrr. I think I'll buy my Brooks saddle elsewhere - that'll show him!

So, just the front gears and the rear brake to go. I should really decide now whether I'm going to get a shorter stem as I'll have to get shorter brake cable housing if I am. Decisions decisions...

Sittingduck, I'll definitely take pictures when it's pretty. I just want to do the fun stuff now like the bar tape!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I recently built my own bike and have managed to build up a bit of a collection of bike related tools and spares :smile: One thing I really do need to get is a pair of decent wire cutters though! I got a workstand from Decathlon for 30 quid and it does the job. Really does come in handy for certain jobs. Such as adjusting shifting and so on.

As for Brooks saddles - I recently got one from SJS for 35 quid (something of a bargain I think). I am still breaking it in but am hopeful!

SD

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Looks like a 1997 model (only because I have one) which I've STI'd (was rsx mechs & chainset with d/tube shifters.

How many gears has it? as mine has seven & this limits your choice of levers (sora), also I needed a new front mech (sora) to 'cope' with the sti's

Have you thought of contacting Dawes for new decals?

Mines morphed over the years - only original parts, frame, wheels, seat post, rear mech & me!
See picture if it worked.

Good luck;

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
Yep, yours does look like mine Craig - good to hear it worked! Mine has 7 as well and I have indeed got Sora shifters. Haven't attempted the front gearing yet but by the sound of things I might need a new front mech. I'll see how it goes.

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
Oh and about contacting Dawes, I've read that they don't send them out although I haven't actually contacted them myself.

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
Hmm getting there - I'll take some in daylight at some point! The front mech works (at least it did once I'd discovered the wonder of limit screws - doh). The only thing which I'm slightly worried about is the chain doesn't sound completely smooth. It's not like it's chugging or catching, just a bit noisier than it should be. I'm wondering if it's a bit loose.

4762_97732158320_510128320_1929975_3031553_n.jpg

4762_97732163320_510128320_1929976_7468072_n.jpg

4762_97732168320_510128320_1929977_8258633_n.jpg

[consulting Sheldon Brown (soooo posed!)]

4762_97732148320_510128320_1929974_5097066_n.jpg

RedBike

Hopefully it's just the photograph but those shifters look like they're at completely different heights?

Perhaps the chain just needs a clean and an oil?

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
No they're not - it's the photo, don't worry!

Yep, the chain is actually really grimy so I'll give it a clean when I get a chance.

nuovo_record

been reading this and i have a friend who is about to let me loose on her ladies galaxy for a clean up.....
it's looking good and your enthusiasm is great!

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
I've purchased my new stem!

%21BWdhqlgBGk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-CgEjlLl1-OzBK%28iZMB8U%21%7E%7E_1.JPG

I'm going to fit it on Saturday and then I'll take photos of the finished machine!

I'm wondering whether to scape off the old Dawes transfers as they are really tatty. Or is that just sacreligious?!

Hi I brought a galaxy off ebay a few months ago just like yours and love it. Would really like to change the to sti's. Was it expensive to do? how hard is it to complete the conversion? mine is a 21 speed. Your bike is lookiing great love to get mine the same way!!!

Top Bottom