My 2nd-hand Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pinkkaz

Veteran
Hello!

Bought this off ebay but I'm currently doing it up:

n510128320_1775741_2692510.jpg

So far I've just replaced the pedals to SPDs, given it a clean up, replaced the rack and taken off the mudgards as they were rubbing on the wheel. And lowered the seat/handlebars to adjust to my size of course!

Next I'm going to:
Convert from downtube levers to STI - I've got all the bits I need for this, including new Specialized Phat bar tape. I'm doing this on Sunday, and lots of research is going to have to take place before then!

Get a pretty Brooks saddle (asked for one for my bday!) in black to match bar tape.

Fit mudguards (probably the ones I took off my old bike before I sold it)

Possibly get a shorter handlebar stem although I'm not sure about this. Assuming the "stem" is the bit which goes into the forks - I'm not up with all the bike terminology yet....

Maybe replace transfers as they're really tatty. However, the only place I can find Galaxy transfers is ebay and they're really expensive.

All this before I go on holiday at the end of July...

RedBike

It certainly looks like it's got potential. It does look a bit daft with the bars that high though.

There might be a few issues with STI levers and the front mech. Tourers often use smaller chainrings and MTB front mechs (can't see what you've got). STI levers don't quite pull the right amount of cable for MTB front mechs.

If you've already got the bits then it's worth a go, it might work, but don't bother with all the bar tape etc until you've tried indexing the front.

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
Yikes! I didn't come across that in all my hours of research! Here's hoping it'll be ok. If not I can always put the parts back on ebay again and hopefully won't make too much of a loss. I'm getting used to the downtube shifters anyway and could live with them if I have to.

I've put the handlebars down since that pic was taken but it still looks a bit high - I might have to take it to a bike shop and get a shorter stem as there seem to be a million different types on the internet and I'm a bit out of my depth!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Length for a stem usually means the front to back measurement.

So that's already a very short stem (not the original for sure - which would have looked like this)

The problem you have is that the stem is meant for a bike with a longer head tube - and therefore will not go all the way down.
Not many suitable new quill stems on the market now. I've even had to saw the end off one to get it to fit in a small frame like that - but not too much as the expander bolt thread will not be long enough.

Alternatively get a quill-to-aheadset converter(like this), then you have a huge range of modern stems to choose from - although not really in character with the rest of the bike.

If it's an MTB front mech that won't work with your STI shifters, a new mech won't cost a fortune, or as you say stick with the downtube shifters and sell the STIs on ebay.

RedBike

I'm sure you'll be fine. I can't see what front mech / chainset you've got on from that picture!!

Worse case is you end up with the front mech shifting via the downtube shifters / the rear gears via the STI controls.

Worth having a go with the STI controls to see if it all works; and if it doesn't post on here and i'm sure someone will tell you which front mech will work.

PpPete

Legendary Member
BTW
If you should find any Galaxy transfers at a reasonable price, please let me know. I'm after several sets (of different vintages).

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll let you know how I get on. Lovely ride in this morning, but I'm finding I don't change gear as much when they're not close to hand. Not necessarily a bad thing but then again, there aren't any hills on my route!

The only place I've found decals so far is this guy's shop: http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cyclomondo__W0QQ_armrsZ1 and actually they are not as ridiculously expensive as I remembered. I thought it was £40 but it's actually $40. Still quite a lot for stickers though!

Thanks for clearing up the stem issue Pete, I might get one of those adapters.

beancounter

porkypete said:
Not many suitable new quill stems on the market now.

There's lots if you look around. In particular I like the Nitto ones from Hubjub (I just bought a technomic deluxe, really nice).

http://www.hubjub.co.uk/nitto/nitto.htm

bc

PpPete

Legendary Member
pinkkaz said:
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll let you know how I get on. Lovely ride in this morning, but I'm finding I don't change gear as much when they're not close to hand. Not necessarily a bad thing but then again, there aren't any hills on my route!

The only place I've found decals so far is this guy's shop: http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cyclomondo__W0QQ_armrsZ1 and actually they are not as ridiculously expensive as I remembered. I thought it was £40 but it's actually $40. Still quite a lot for stickers though!

Thanks for clearing up the stem issue Pete, I might get one of those adapters.

Yeah Cyclomondo is the only one I found with decals...
I'm waiting for him to come back to me on a quantity discount... I need several sets for my family's "stable" of rebuilt Galaxy's
If he comes back with a sensible offer I'll get an extra for u

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
porkypete said:
Yeah Cyclomondo is the only one I found with decals...
I'm waiting for him to come back to me on a quantity discount... I need several sets for my family's "stable" of rebuilt Galaxy's
If he comes back with a sensible offer I'll get an extra for u

Cheers! Let me know if he does and I'll paypal it to you.

oxford_guy

Über Member
RedBike said:
I'm sure you'll be fine. I can't see what front mech / chainset you've got on from that picture!!

Worse case is you end up with the front mech shifting via the downtube shifters / the rear gears via the STI controls.

Worth having a go with the STI controls to see if it all works; and if it doesn't post on here and i'm sure someone will tell you which front mech will work.

Or you could go the "Shimergo" route, as fitted to my Hewitt Cheviot SE tourer: http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946#Shimergo
This seems to work well and the Campag cable routing from the levers is much neater and leaves more room for a bar bag etc...

OP
OP
pinkkaz

pinkkaz

Veteran
oxford_guy said:
Or you could go the "Shimergo" route, as fitted to my Hewitt Cheviot SE tourer: http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946#Shimergo
This seems to work well and the Campag cable routing from the levers is much neater and leaves more room for a bar bag etc...

Now ya tells me. But I already have the Shimano shifters so I'll try that. I keep forgetting to have a look and see what front mech I actually have to clear this up once and for all. And I don't have my bike with me today as I dropped half of my lock into one of those abysses at the side of buildings in London with no way down. It kind of happened in slow motion and the lock was really expensive too :blush: Hopefully FIL has a spare one though...

oxford_guy

Über Member
pinkkaz said:
Now ya tells me. But I already have the Shimano shifters so I'll try that. I keep forgetting to have a look and see what front mech I actually have to clear this up once and for all.

For the record I have Campag Veloce levers (10 spd for the rear lever, the front lever is friction-based) and Shimano XT front and rear-derailleurs

And I don't have my bike with me today as I dropped half of my lock into one of those abysses at the side of buildings in London with no way down. It kind of happened in slow motion and the lock was really expensive too :blush: Hopefully FIL has a spare one though...

Reminds me of a few months back when my girlfriend droped my Abus D-lock into the canal that was below the railings she was trying to lock our bikes too... just as well I have a sense of humour and could see the funny side! :laugh:

Top Bottom