My 3 year old has cancer, and what I'm going to do about it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Big Jim

Yeah, altered it as not totally appropriate for this thread!

heheh. no need to. Rusky being Rusky.

coleydp

Hi James. I've made a donation and am very moved by your situation and the plight of your son. My little boy is 4 and is the world to me as i'm sure your boy is too. I cannot begin to think what you are going through, but doing something positive like your challenge must give you a focus and is a superb way to react to it. You and your family are in my prayers. Good luck with the challenge and God Bless.

Dave

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

Hi James. I've made a donation and am very moved by your situation and the plight of your son. My little boy is 4 and is the world to me as i'm sure your boy is too. I cannot begin to think what you are going through, but doing something positive like your challenge must give you a focus and is a superb way to react to it. You and your family are in my prayers. Good luck with the challenge and God Bless.

Dave

Thank you Dave, that's very good of you :smile:

William does mean the world to us. We just hope that the Bone Marrow TRansplant has cured him and he will go on to live a decent life. Doing this challenge is definately a great focus and is something that I feel I can do to help. There's nothing worse than being in the hospital and not being able to do very much to help. This is something that will make a difference in some way.

thanks again for donation and words :smile:

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

Just an update on William. He's still fever free and his rash is slightly improved, so not much has changed. However his Hickman line hasn;t bleed back for the past few days, so this is a worry as it's not possible to check his blood counts and various levels., We're hoping it'll be ok on monday as it looks like a problem with his positioning rather than a block, but I suppose worst case is he'll need it replaced. The Hickman line is the one you can't see and gains access to his blood via his chest.
Training is going ok. managed 41 miles on Thursday which for me is good. Body felt ok, but a bit headachy after. Any hints on how to avoid dehydration? I mean obviously drink, but drink what and how ofter? What sort of foods I should eat?

Here's a picture from earlier today.
AxMBOwCCIAAsnq2.jpg

rusky

CC Addict
He's looking well. :thumbsup:

What are you drinking when you ride? Water isn't ideal, squash is better but you may want to try a sports energy drink Tesco sell SiS stuff.

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

He's looking well. :thumbsup:

What are you drinking when you ride? Water isn't ideal, squash is better but you may want to try a sports energy drink Tesco sell SiS stuff.
ribena and water. have some energy drinks ordered via amazon, just waiting for them to arrive.

thing is, I need to lose weight also. How much should I drink?

rusky

CC Addict
dunno but there's probably something in the health & fitness section:thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

All is still fine with William health wise. His Hickman line (in his chest) decided to stop bleeding back a few weeks back, which is a pain. So they (The Marsden) put him in for it to be removed last Tuesday and a "Port" to be inserted instead. Unfortunately he had a bit of a coldy type thing going on + had a spike of a fever on the Monday when he arrived, but improved over night and was ok on the day of the op. So, he was literally gowned up and at the point of going in when the consultant anaesthetist pulled the plug. So that was that. I think it was also because he still had some other virus’s showing up on the MPA swab which he’d been carrying for months and months, though funnily enough the MPA swab he had the day of the operation showed he was now clear of them (but the results take a few days to come through if that makes sense).

Funnily he’s been better since last Tuesday, though obviously they still can’t get blood out of him. Currently they’re going to try Brighton I think to see if they can slot him in. Because we’re just west of the east Sussex border, we come under Worthing and they can’t really perform this kind of operation.

So really in summary, his rash is better, though he picked up a new cold type thing from his sister, he seems to have coped ok. He’s still coldy, but not worryingly so. Really we’re just treading water and hoping that 1, he doesn’t pick up anything nasty which he can’t fight. 2, His Graft verses host disease starts to calm down and the rash starts to improve (which it seems to be). 3, Most importantly I think that the Leukaemia doesn’t come back.

My Twitter is currently playing me up, so waiting for that to come up again and i’ll post a picture so you can see the difference in him.
I managed 53 miles on my bike on Sunday, but had a bit of knee pain near the end which isn’t good.
Just got to try and keep it up I suppose. drunk loads of isotonic drinks and the headaches weren't quite so bad. Just need to lose more of the belly now really
smile.gif

RhythMick

Über Member
Good to hear progress thanks. All the best wishes to you as always.

Knee trouble needs to be watched. Don't forget you won't be doing your family any good if you push it too far and end up unable to drive.

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

I used to have quite a lot of knee grief about 3 or 4 years ago. My mate kept trying to get me to play footy with them, but always said my knees aren't up to it. I eventually gave the footy a go, and it really improved them. Haven't had any grief for ages. strange that.

I was fine, no probs at all with the ride literally until the last 2 miles, then the knee just felt not quite right. So I thought it was time to call it a day,. I could have done another 5 to 10 miles I think.
I'm hoping it's not an injury as such. It feels fine today, which is good. Just wondering how it'll feel after a few days of all day riding.

out of interest. When I cycle for long distances my fingers go numb. they're still a little bit numb now. Is this normal? are there any ways to stop it happening other than fit suspension?

RhythMick

Über Member
I used to have quite a lot of knee grief about 3 or 4 years ago. My mate kept trying to get me to play footy with them, but always said my knees aren't up to it. I eventually gave the footy a go, and it really improved them. Haven't had any grief for ages. strange that.

I was fine, no probs at all with the ride literally until the last 2 miles, then the knee just felt not quite right. So I thought it was time to call it a day,. I could have done another 5 to 10 miles I think.
I'm hoping it's not an injury as such. It feels fine today, which is good. Just wondering how it'll feel after a few days of all day riding.

out of interest. When I cycle for long distances my fingers go numb. they're still a little bit numb now. Is this normal? are there any ways to stop it happening other than fit suspension?

Knees - I'm a bit sensitive to this having fallen heavily on mine at the weekend. Off the bike for a few weeks, grrr ....

Fingers going numb - I had the same issue with long rides when I started cycling for fitness. With much advice and guidance on here I found my bike fit was all wrong. The bars were way too low for me, my saddle was too high and angled nose down. This was throwing my weight onto my wrists causing pain and numbness in the fingers. I haven't had a proper bike fit yet (will do) but have reversed the stem angle, lowered the saddle, levelled the saddle and moved it forward a little. Much much better and no numbness.

OP
OP
B

Big Jim

Knees - I'm a bit sensitive to this having fallen heavily on mine at the weekend. Off the bike for a few weeks, grrr ....

Fingers going numb - I had the same issue with long rides when I started cycling for fitness. With much advice and guidance on here I found my bike fit was all wrong. The bars were way too low for me, my saddle was too high and angled nose down. This was throwing my weight onto my wrists causing pain and numbness in the fingers. I haven't had a proper bike fit yet (will do) but have reversed the stem angle, lowered the saddle, levelled the saddle and moved it forward a little. Much much better and no numbness.
oh dear.

think i'll pop down the local Giant shop to see what they can do for me. :sad:

Hope you can get back on the bike very soon.

Top Bottom