My accident...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

campbellab

My guess is he'll say you didn't have any lights on at the time or something?

Although I don't think any magistrate is going to think someone who bothers with a head cam would not have lights on. Hopefully you have a longer video to show some of them reflecting from somewhere etc? I think you can just about make a couple of flashes on his bonnet at the end of your posted video. I also guess you have video footage of the aftermath.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

My guess is he'll say you didn't have any lights on at the time or something?

Although I don't think any magistrate is going to think someone who bothers with a head cam would not have lights on. Hopefully you have a longer video to show some of them reflecting from somewhere etc? I think you can just about make a couple of flashes on his bonnet at the end of your posted video. I also guess you have video footage of the aftermath.

Yeh, the video is a lot longer and the police have the full copy, it's mainly him getting out of the car then the 10 min discussion and swapping of details after. Though when I spoke to the lady from the Met about his claim he couldn't see me, she laughed and said she could see my lights flashing in reflection.

I had 2 sets of flashing lights on my helmet, plus the obligatory steady set on my bike, plus a flashing rear one on my back and a black, reflective cycle jacket (and ankle reflector). It's going to be tough for him to prove I wasn't visible, though one guy driving behind him stopped and piped up that he couldn't see me either but then he was a good way up the road behind (you can see him in the video) and shouldn't he be focussing more on what's directly around him and what the car in front of him is doing? But maybe he'll get him in as a witness, I don't know - but they didn't swap details.

I think the guy genuinely believes he's in the right and that he couldn't see me and this worries me because I was more than appropriately lit (the Highway Code only stipulates one set of lights plus fitted reflectors). So I believe he has no cycle awareness whatsover and as such is a danger to other cyclists until he accepts he was in the wrong. I think the course would have done him (and others) the world of good.

If either of us had been going faster, this would have been a lot more serious than just a dented front mudguard and a bashed shin (still got the marks 6 months later).

campbellab

I guess he didn't see you either physically or mentally (but could see you if he observed better), then his mind has just filled in the gaps to come to the most comfortable conclusion ie there was no way he could see you as he's a good driver and was paying attention.

The mind does wonderful things whn thngs r mssng!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It doesn't surprise me. The case I was involved in - the chap chose to represent himself, and said his car wasn't where we said it was on the road, he wasn't doing a u-turn, we were making it up. I'd taken photo's on my phone after phoning the ambulance, and there were already in the evidence pack - needless to say the panel pointed out the pictures to him again.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Fingers crossed he pleads Guilty, it's better in his interest if he does and it means you don't need to go to court.

If you do need to go to court, just keep your answers short and factual and you will be fine :smile:

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

This is hopefully my last update on this...

The 1st hearing was a couple of days ago and I've only just managed to get through to the Magistrates Court. They've told me that the guy plead guilty and has received a £266 fine plus 5 points on his license. Compare this to 0 points plus only having to pay £90-£100 to go on a Drivers' Awareness course shows this gamble seriously didn't pay off.

Part of me feels really frustrated that he didn't just do the course in the first place but hopefully now this is a lesson learned. I just really hope that he knows he did wrong in this situation rather than pleading guilty at this stage to get off a greater fine later on.

I wish I could have been there when he was showed the clip. But yes, it's annoying people can drive like idiots and waste everyone's time with lies. His insurance renewal will be interesting.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Plus victim surcharge..?

Top Bottom