My accident...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

19th Dec 2012 - 5.15pm

Cycling up Townsend Street in SE1 (reflective jacket on, steady rear white light & red rear light plus flashing white & red helmet lights plus flashing red light on my backpack). Driver coming out of Crosslet Street failed to stop at the junction and hits me side on.

View: http://youtu.be/Gz7smbIRkbo

I know people slate Bromptons but I'm very thankful I did in this situation - as I don't have a crossbar, I was able to step out of the bike on impact. Otherwise, I would have been on the floor and potentially hurt myself pretty badly.

Minor damage to my bike which I've kind of fixed but will get the cycle to double-check. Also, sustained a superficial injury to my left shin.

The driver did stop, it was all very calm and we swapped details however he didnt apologise once and said he didn't see me and I asked what more can I do than have 2 sets of lights on the front and back (plus I was going at a fairly leisurely place). The driver behind him also piped up saying he didnt see me then he drove away.

Tempted to report it to the police for their stats...

Hip Priest

Veteran
Glad you're relatively unscathed mate.

When they say "I didn't see you" they mean "I didn't look properly". Sheer complacency, and it's poor form that he didn't apologise.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You have to report this, why else use a camera?
Read this post on cycle camera tv. Either report it to Roadsafe (they may say do the second) or report it at your local station by filling out form 207 (on the website) and burn the whole video you have on a DVD.

If you need any help or have any questions about the reporting process. Feel free to ask me, i've got plenty of experience with the police in London.

I had a similar incident 2 years ago and the driver was fined and received points on his license for careless driving.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Thanks guys, I'm meant to go to the police station in person, really not sure there's any point. I've no intention of pressing charges and I doubt it'll cost very much to get my bike looked at and fixed if necessary.

But then, without reporting, it's one less stat for the books...

This is my first (hopefully, last) collision since I started riding in February and it's left me a bit shaken

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

You have to report this, why else use a camera?
Read this post on cycle camera tv. Either report it to Roadsafe (they may say do the second) or report it at your local station by filling out form 207 (on the website) and burn the whole video you have on a DVD.

If you need any help or have any questions about the reporting process. Feel free to ask me, i've got plenty of experience with the police in London.

I had a similar incident 2 years ago and the driver was fined and received points on his license for careless driving.

Thanks Gaz, that does look quite similar!

I'm doubting myself in terms of visibility, my jacket is a black Altura cycling jacket so I guess only shines up with direct light on to it - I'm going to wear a yellow hi-viz on top in future... but I did have the front steady bike light and front flashing cateye on my helmet, he just didn't keep looking to check all was clear... He did say that it's a badly lit area which kind of says to me 'be more careful!'.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Thanks guys, I'm meant to go to the police station in person, really not sure there's any point. I've no intention of pressing charges and I doubt it'll cost very much to get my bike looked at and fixed if necessary.

But then, without reporting, it's one less stat for the books...

This is my first (hopefully, last) collision since I started riding in February and it's left me a bit shaken
A collision always leaves you shaken. Whether it is at 30mph or 3mph.

I was rear ended in stop start traffic in the summer and just for sheer practice and because I didnt know if there were any damages, I took the guys details (he was apologetic and said he was concentrating on a car behind him turning (which I knew)). I checked the bike when I got home and didnt do anything further. There was no point reporting it to the police because what could they do? No damage and I was happy with the drivers attitude.

Certain things are worth reporting though. If there is damage, I wouldnt report it to the police, I would just go to the driver's insurance company. If the driver refuses to give details or drives off, it is one for the police.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Just popped over to Southwark Police Station and was given an Road Traffic Collision/Accident - Self Reporting Scheme form, so I'll fill it out and hand it in tomorrow I guess...

Top Bottom