My accident...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

atomboy

Glad you side stepped out of trouble, it could have been very nasty :ohmy: I hate passing parked cars etc you are out of muppets view for that second and that can be the only time they look :sad:
I hate the parked cars too, that's why I search a fixable lamp to my helmet (next to the camera). But I read, Davidsw8 had a lamp on his helmet, and the result is bad... :/

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just popped over to Southwark Police Station and was given an Road Traffic Collision/Accident - Self Reporting Scheme form, so I'll fill it out and hand it in tomorrow I guess...
Don't forget to burn a copy of the video onto DVD and include that when you hand the form in. Speeds the process up.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Just popped over to Southwark Police Station and was given an Road Traffic Collision/Accident - Self Reporting Scheme form, so I'll fill it out and hand it in tomorrow I guess...
Take a look at this thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/statement-template.53277/

I filled it out when I was reporting an incident a few months ago. When the police officer who was dealing with me read it, she asked if I worked in the police or did any training scheme as my statement was well written and professional. I just explained that I found a template online (didnt say where).

I hate the parked cars too, that's why I search a fixable lamp to my helmet (next to the camera). But I read, Davidsw8 had a lamp on his helmet, and the result is bad... :/
There was a good piece somebody posted the other week basically your brain smooths out images from your eyes and in doing so it may blank out small areas, explaining (but certainly not excusing SMIDSY). Unfortunately you could be dressed up like a Christmas Tree (apt at this time of year) with as many bright lights positioned on your helmet, bars etc but something which increases your chance of being in the blanked out zone like a parked car can be disastrous :sad:

I think you were unlucky in that you were possibly hidden behind the parked car, and then behind his A-pillar. It can sometimes be worth altering your speed if the a-pillar is blocking the drivers head from your perspective.

That said, regardless of all of that, if he's looking properly he will see you, and the fault is entirely his. "Things that you can do that might prevent" should never be confused as "Things that you must do or be at fault".

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Don't forget to burn a copy of the video onto DVD and include that when you hand the form in. Speeds the process up.

Thanks Gaz, I'll do that at work tomorrow and hand the form in on my way home.

I might not be cycling now until the New Year which is maybe a bit too long but I want my bike to be looked over properly before I ride it again.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I'm in a quandry about reporting this to the police because the guy is willing to reimburse me the cost of any repairs (which I don't think will be much) without involving his insurance company.

I'm taking my bike for a service next Thursday so will be able to give him the receipt then.

I've been told that if I report this to the police, they will have to investigate it even if I'm only reporting it so it's recorded statistically - I think there are a LOT of unreported cycle accidents which skew popular opinion on what really happens out there. As it stands, I don't want the guy to get into trouble/be fined/have points on his licence as he's been very reasonable so far and doesn't appear to be an irresponsible boy racer - he just made a mistake... I just don't want to be out of pocket for a mistake HE made.

Gah! I hate having a conscience sometimes!! :angry:

Drago

Legendary Member
Holy Vaz, I'd be mortified if I'd done that to another road user. You've have to punch me to stop me apologising.

aces_up1504

Why can we not just accept sometimes people make mistakes? I am with you Davidsw8

If the driver of the car is happy to pay for repairs of the bike and your not hurt. I dont see the need to take it any further.

On the note on the driver not applogising. Dont forget that people are told never to say sorry or accept guilt after a collision, even if it obvious they were at fault. Its not for you or them to place blame, Its a matter for the insurance company or the police if the accident is serious enough.

Buddfox

Veteran
Why can we not just accept sometimes people make mistakes? I am with you Davidsw8

If the driver of the car is happy to pay for repairs of the bike and your not hurt. I dont see the need to take it any further.

On the note on the driver not applogising. Dont forget that people are told never to say sorry or accept guilt after a collision, even if it obvious they were at fault. Its not for you or them to place blame, Its a matter for the insurance company or the police if the accident is serious enough.

Exactly... so report it to the Police and let them handle it. You appear to be contradicting yourself?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The police won't follow it up as no-one was injured, but it goes down on statistics, and if the driver has been crasing into more folk, they would have a word.

Glad it wasn't worse as you could have easily landed on the floor.

veloevol

Evo Lucas
The police won't follow it up as no-one was injured, but it goes down on statistics, and if the driver has been crasing into more folk, they would have a word.

Glad it wasn't worse as you could have easily landed on the floor.

A driver education course would benefit this driver.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm in a quandry about reporting this to the police because the guy is willing to reimburse me the cost of any repairs (which I don't think will be much) without involving his insurance company.

I'm taking my bike for a service next Thursday so will be able to give him the receipt then.

I've been told that if I report this to the police, they will have to investigate it even if I'm only reporting it so it's recorded statistically - I think there are a LOT of unreported cycle accidents which skew popular opinion on what really happens out there. As it stands, I don't want the guy to get into trouble/be fined/have points on his licence as he's been very reasonable so far and doesn't appear to be an irresponsible boy racer - he just made a mistake... I just don't want to be out of pocket for a mistake HE made.

Gah! I hate having a conscience sometimes!! :angry:
Let me contact a traffic police officer about this and i'll let you know what they say.

Top Bottom