My accident...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Let me contact a traffic police officer about this and i'll let you know what they say.

Thanks Gaz, I'm leaving work at 4.30 and can go via Saville row nick to drop off my form and dvd... if I decide to report.

Lance Jack

Über Member
My Father used to drive an ambulance. Big, white (at that time) with blue lights on and a siren. Twice cars pulled out of side roads into him, if that can happen what chance do the rest of us have? They say they didn't see you? Its easier to say that than admit they are poor drivers.
Glad you ok.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Thanks Gaz, I'm leaving work at 4.30 and can go via Saville row nick to drop off my form and dvd... if I decide to report.
So I spoke to my contact and he suggests that you report it at the police station as an accident (no need for video footage etc..) and say that you don't want to take further action. That way nothing further happens but it is on record for stats and if the driver fails to pay up, you can then go to the police and say you want his insurance details to contact his insurance company for damages.

veloevol

Evo Lucas
So I spoke to my contact and he suggests that you report it at the police station as an accident (no need for video footage etc..) and say that you don't want to take further action. That way nothing further happens but it is on record for stats and if the driver fails to pay up, you can then go to the police and say you want his insurance details to contact his insurance company for damages.

I had a small scrape with someone on my motorbike and it was all smiles and 'off the insurance books' agreement until a month later I got a letter from my insurance company. He maybe sorry but he's not your best mate and he may change his mind and blank you. Following Gaz's advice protects yourself and records the accident.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I took the form over to Saville Row nick last night on my way home, he didn't want the DVD anyway as he said it would just get lost and the follow-up team will ask me to supply it if necessary (I've put on the form that I have it available). I said I didn't want to press charges but wanted them to register it as a statistic and for it to be registered as an incident - he nodded but it wasn't noted down, I guess that comes in the follow-up.

Anyway, it's reported and I feel I've done the right thing - he might be a nice guy but he made a mistake that could have been MUCH worse (for me) and if there are no consequences, people continue to think they can do anything and get away with it...

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Call the guy up. Tell him your reasons for reporting it as an accident, and talk to him like a human being. If he shows genuine contrition and pays for your repairs, what possible sense is there in taking it further. Talk to him about how you experienced it, send him the footage (I'm sure it would shock him seeing it through your eyes), and tell him to be more careful.

We're all just trying to get along in this world. You'd do far better to make a connection and educate that one person, so he hopefully never makes a mistake again, than kid yourself that reporting it and following up will serve a greater good. It won't. If he ended up with points on his license, increased insurance costs, I very much doubt he's going to get a better world view of cyclists.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Hi Scruff

I totally understand what you're saying and I was going over this again and again for most of yesterday. I have informed the guy that I intended to report this and his only concern was that we didn't involve his insurance company.

In the end, I decided to hand the report in because:

a) If we don't report these incidents, official statistics give a false impression of safety for cyclists on the roads. In London especially, it's becoming very dangerous and that needs to be made a lot more obvious.

b) I'm not getting my bike serviced until next Thursday, if there's a problem with him paying me for any repairs and I end up reporting him anyway then the police are going to ask me why I waited over a week to report it, it's going to lessen any potential claim I have to make and it'll make me look unreliable and vindictive.

I have and will continue to stress to the police that I don't want further action taken on this.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Good shout. Be sure to make the guy aware of the bigger issues. Adding to numbers is all well and good, and needful, just be sure to pick your moral line and stick with it.

I completely understand that you've got to protect your own interests, you were wronged, of that there is no question.

If you wear a camera, and have a motorists details that hit you, you're in a unique position to educate. Send him the video, ask if he has any thoughts on your behaviour. Worst case is he tells you he has nothing to add, best case he shows a couple of people, they become more aware and a few people correct their thought process and start looking at junctions.

Glad you're all good, hope the bike is ok.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

One thing I've taken from this is that whilst I thought I was visible, I know I can improve that so I'm going to add a couple more lights and wear more reflective/hi-vis clothing, I'm going to be the proverbial effing christmas tree come january! :laugh:

veloevol

Evo Lucas
One thing I've taken from this is that whilst I thought I was visible, I know I can improve that so I'm going to add a couple more lights and wear more reflective/hi-vis clothing, I'm going to be the proverbial effing christmas tree come january! :laugh:

You've done the right thing and educating the driver as mentioned by Scruff is key.

Think about a helmet mounted light also that way it's a directional beam.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

You've done the right thing and educating the driver as mentioned by Scruff is key.

Think about a helmet mounted light also that way it's a directional beam.

I've got front and back flashing frog lights on my helmet :becool: I was thinking of getting a second set of powerful cycle mounted lights - have to be careful where I put them so as not to affect the fold on the Brompton.

BSRU

A Human Being
I've got front and back flashing frog lights on my helmet :becool: I was thinking of getting a second set of powerful cycle mounted lights - have to be careful where I put them so as not to affect the fold on the Brompton.
It does not matter how many lights you have if they do not look properly their not going to see you.
When you've seen someone pull out on a police car with all lights and sirens going you realise you can only do so much.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

It does not matter how many lights you have if they do not look properly their not going to see you.
When you've seen someone pull out on a police car with all lights and sirens going you realise you can only do so much.

^_^ That's very true, some people are beyond hope... still worth a go though and if it doesn't do anything more than make me feel that little bit more confident then it's worked IMO.

veloevol

Evo Lucas

Can't fault that logic but you can give yourself a better chance. In a similar situation David encountered I've looked at a potential side street threat with a strong head beam and I feel they have seen me sooner than if I'd had a basic front light set up.

Top Bottom