My aching legs...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ouch, I'm hurting today! I guess it's going to take a while getting used to the new longer commute, and it's not helped by the tiny amount of riding I did in November what with moving house and getting lurgy.

Tetedelacourse

I thought your legs were made of galvanised steel or something?

I had a night out last Friday and that coupled with the resulting hangover/ comfort eating/ slobbing about plus a few days off the bike due to ice has made me feel like I have the legs of Stephen Hawking.

How much longer is your new commute?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I wish, LOL! I've just done three days on the trot, combined with plenty of skating, so I'm very glad I have a day off today. Nothing more strenuous than going to watch my son's Christmas play. The commute has gone from 30 to 42 miles round trip.

GrahamG

Guru
You still doing that fixed or is the 'bent getting more play time?

I've gone the opposite - from 12 miles to 6 a day. Although the hills of Bristol are certainly a shock to the system enough for me not to notice the shorter journey that much!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Taking Elf to school on the tandem this morning, my legs were like jelly.
Not sure if that was not having warmed my legs up first or just the cold getting to my muscles before they had a chance to warm up?

Ugh, not nice.

Bent Mikey, whats your actual route from Biggin Hill to Peckham, and onward, then?

All the runs to Brighton I've taken go thru Catford, Bromley and out over Biggin Hill for that great downhill on the other side. Oh, and because I don't do Croydon.

T x

BentMikey said:
Ouch, I'm hurting today! I guess it's going to take a while getting used to the new longer commute, and it's not helped by the tiny amount of riding I did in November what with moving house and getting lurgy.

Och, your just a big jessie!:evil:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Graham, nope, been too lazy to do it fixed yet, LOL! I'll bet your hills are punishment of note, the climbs up to Biggin Hill on the way home are energy-sapping.

tdr1nka, it's pretty much the A233 straight to the A21, then the A202, Vauxhall, and Hyde Park.

magnatom, I am, I am! I'm working hard on putting in lots of winter miles so that I don't expire when it comes to the busy spring and summer months.

BentMikey said:
magnatom, I am, I am! I'm working hard on putting in lots of winter miles so that I don't expire when it comes to the busy spring and summer months.

No your not at all. All these miles put my teeny weeny little 5 mile each way commute to shame :evil: (Although I do do claim that Cycling through the Clyde Tunnel is like adding another 2 miles on to my commute!)

domtyler

Über Member
Increase your protein intake as your body will need to adapt to the new routine.

domtyler said:
Increase your protein intake as your body will need to adapt to the new routine.

Not wanting to rock the boat (that usually means I will :evil:), but my wife, who is a dietician (this is apparently the correct spelling despite what spell checkers tell you!) has always told me that people very rarely are short of protein, even if you are undertaking strenuous exercise.

The whole protein supplement industry is apparently selling snake oil, or so I am told.......:wacko:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think your wife is right, magnatom, I've heard that from a couple of coaches too. What's apparently different about recovery drinks that are 3/4s carbs and 1/4 protein is that somehow the protein helps your body to store up more glycogen than it would with just a straight carb drink. Mind you, the studies I read about might have been sponsored by a sports nutrition company or something.

domtyler

Über Member
What harm does the extra protein do though? Surely it is best to have too much than too little?

I personally found it to make a massive difference when I was doing loads of training back in the summer, my whole body shape changed massively and lots of people noticed, not just myself.

BentMikey said:
I think your wife is right, magnatom, I've heard that from a couple of coaches too. What's apparently different about recovery drinks that are 3/4s carbs and 1/4 protein is that somehow the protein helps your body to store up more glycogen than it would with just a straight carb drink. Mind you, the studies I read about might have been sponsored by a sports nutrition company or something.

Indeed. Carbohydrates are your friend. This unfortunately does not include mars bars...:evil:

domtyler said:
What harm does the extra protein do though? Surely it is best to have too much than too little?

I personally found it to make a massive difference when I was doing loads of training back in the summer, my whole body shape changed massively and lots of people noticed, not just myself.

You are right. No real harm except to your wallet! (Actually I have vague recollections of a condition where excess protein can be a problem...)

You will not bulk up just by eating protein. Honest you won't! Can I hazard a guess that you were doing some form of exercise at the time that might have accounted for your bulking up?:evil:

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Indeed. Carbohydrates are your friend. This unfortunately does not include mars bars...:evil:

Wrong again, the carbs in a Mars are no better or worse than any other. As a so-called scientist you should know that glucose is the same however it is delivered!

Top Bottom