My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'm not that happy with being a Rav4 cyclist ;) but it is a front suspension MTB with road tyres on so I gues it is also a Rav4 with wide lowprofile tyres! :biggrin:

I wonder what the analogy for the various recumbents would be?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I have a long wheelbase OSS recumbent, a Rans Stratus XP. I'd call it a Cadillac. ;-)

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
A useful effort but I would always go for quality used bikes such as cult Italian and Brit marques. Also its racing bikes not road bikes!! Every bike is a road bike!! At the end of the day write a list and see if what you are looking for ticks the right boxes.

Ludwig said:
Also its racing bikes not road bikes!! Every bike is a road bike!!
Nope, it's Road Bike which I guess is shorthand for Road Racing Bike. My mountain bike is definitely a Race Bike. It might confuse beginners but Road Bike is what they're called.

Willow

stick to cars I understand that.

Maz

Guru
punkypossum said:
I think the problem with halfords is not necessarily the bikes, the carreras for example tend to be very good, but unfortunately if you are a beginner you cannot necessarily rely on them to put the bike together properly or even in a way that makes it safe to ride.
Tell me about it...mate of mine went to Halfords to collect and ride home his son's bike (they are roughly the same height etc). The front wheel came off on his way home.

pdubs678

Hello!

I'm sure u've heard this one before but i'm new to cycling and have a few questions!! I could do with some advice on buying a bike and more specifically group sets! i've been told Shimano and campagnolo do good componenets and i wondering if anyone had an opinion on which was better??

I'm aware if the diferent levels of groupsets, but i'm a bit confused as to why a £230 bike from decathlon has Shimano sora components, but a £450 Scott bike only has Shimano 2200 components (which i thought were lower quality.... i may be wrong). Is the increase in price due to the frame been so much better quality???

Any help would really appreciated!

k turner

Wish I had seen this thread and this site before I got my bike.

H*** sold me a Cross country with fat tyres, very heavy, bad brakes, chain kept coming off, and after 9 returns, phone calls, neighbour helping, finally today I got my money back after 3 weeks.

They then delivered to me a "normal, light, thin tyred, smooth tyred ladies going to the shop bike.

I did not have to get off today on my usual journey and push it up the hills, very heavy doing that. My journey which has been taking me 35 mins, today only took 12.

Pleased with the outcome, but I had to pay double the original price. I had four times the amount to spend in the first place, but some bike expert in the shop thought I could do with a mountain bike.

(I have oesteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, and have 7 broken vertebrae and 4 prolapsed disks and snapped cruciate ligaments, arthrisis in my knees, lowerback, upperback, neck and hips) as well as a broken and now twisted pelvis.

Surely I needed the lightest, easiest bike to ride........????? Not the heaviest one with the fattest tyres they could find in the shop

Again I re-iterate, I think the descriptions in the original post on this thread is bang on. Only wish I had found it sooner.

After 3 weeks, I am now happy.

shimano

If I may be so bold I suspect K T's message could be re-arranged to 'advice before you buy' and still have her original meaning.

Top Bottom