My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hi need2 and welcome to the forum :smile:
Glad you found it an interesting read. You are now in the favoured position of being able to give the best feedback on it, because you are new to the forum !

Please let us know what you think of the advice given here:
- what is good :smile:
- what could be junked :sad:
- what annoys :biggrin:
- what cheers :biggrin:
- what is just plain useful :thumbsup:
- who is your favourite respondent ;)
etc etc

By the time you've done that lot, you'll have at least 2 new bikes, be pro racer fit, be commuting 50 miles/day, toured across Europe and the America(s), yet still be only 25 yrs old :smile:

Happy further reading :angry:

professionalman

A bit unfair to Halfords

I have one of their basic CX10s bikes which is the aliminium framed entry level hybrid bike and by and large it is enjoyable to use and ride.

Its the same as a lot of peoples comments towards PC world - funny how they continue to pinch a good percentage of the market.

Have found Halfords to be well priced and helpful - just my thoughts though and like all big franchises no doubt depends on the actual shop but the Aintree Shop does it for me.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
professionalman said:
I have one of their basic CX10s bikes which is the aliminium framed entry level hybrid bike and by and large it is enjoyable to use and ride.

Its the same as a lot of peoples comments towards PC world - funny how they continue to pinch a good percentage of the market.

Have found Halfords to be well priced and helpful - just my thoughts though and like all big franchises no doubt depends on the actual shop but the Aintree Shop does it for me.

It's very dangerous to use the Halfords bad LBS good argument because there is no guarantee that any LBS is a high quality service provider or indeed, a provider of quality bicycles.

The quality of service and competence of the mechanics are a variables across the spectrum of *all* bike retailers. Furthermore a disatisfied customer tells more people about the purchase/service than a satisfied customer which can distort the picture especially when there's a large number of branches which then facilitates the 'me too' responses and the spiral of disatisfaction descends into an inaccurate labelling of a retailer/retailer chain

The assertion that Halfords is bad is just that, an assertion unsupported by anything other than a collection of anecdotes.

Halfords' own brand, Carerra plus the Boardman range have received very positive reviews in the comics though it is fair to say that the Apollo range would not be my first choice.

I have no connection with Halfords other than being the highly satisfied purchaser of five of their value for money Carrera off road and urban bikes over the past four or five years in some instances as a like for like replacement for stolen bikes.

Other cycle retailers have suffered from condemnation by anecdote in the past please don't perpetuate the practise.

remking

Hmmm. The great Halfords Debate. I, like many others, have one around the corner. I visited them last weekend to buy a bike. As a buyer, one likes to feel as though the seller wants ones business. I did not get this impression from them. Eventually, like PC World, they will go out of business (mark my words). It may take a few years or even not so long but it will happen. PC World is having a tough time because, not only their customers but also their suppliers, don't want to do business with them anymore. This is due to arrogance of working for a big brand name. I know this is off topic (sorry). Halfords could have had the £440 that I ended up spending last weekend. They had the first crack at the whip. They were not interested. I'm sure there will be many others in my position who will vote with their wallets. You have to look at the whole package, not just the bike. I ended up going to Cycle Express in Brockenhurst. The owner of the small chain (also on the web) helped me personally on a rainy Sunday morning. He guided me through the process of selecting a cycle. Once I made the decision I then asked if I could have the bike that day. 3 hours later I collected it after he had finished preparing it for me. This was someone who appreciated that I was spending some serious cash and wanted me to know that he wanted my business. Halfords completely failed in this area. Give it time....

col

Legendary Member
That would be a shame if they did close,as iv had pretty good service from them in the past,and they do stock a good variety of things.Iv bought a few things off them over the years and have had no problems in the way they treat me.Sometimes iv just gone in to browse,and have always been approached with the "can i help?"when iv said no thanks im just looking they leave me alone to browse,when i have asked for something,they have tried to find out for me.Any faults with something have been sorted to my satisfaction,seems a good way of doing business to me in my experience.Im not saying all shops are like this,but mine is.

bigjim

Legendary Member
E-Bay £50. What more do you want.
2908223364_952c087ef3.jpg

jay clock

Massive member
I agree with the general "beware Halfords" for the newbie. The biggest risk is coming out with an unsuitable bike. The second risk is poor assembly etc.

Having said that, the one bike I have from there is a stunningly good allrounder. Carerra Subway 1 circa 2004. Admittedly I have upgraded lots of it, but it really does do everything. It is does 99% of what my £1200 Koga Miyata World Traveller does, works great as a town/commuter, can go off road, and I have done 60+mile day rides on it.

But I know a lot about bikes, and my feeling is that an LBS is a generally a good place to start. The key issue is to get newbies past the "but I can get a bike for half/a third of that price in Asda"...... yes, and it will be KRAP and will put you off cycling.

best of luck to any newbies

Hay great my bike is a GTI

jimboalee

My advice to Newbies.
While trying to choose your new bike:- Buy a cheap heap of junk out of the paper or visit the local tatman. Strip it and rebuild it. Poke the tyres with a pin and repair the punctures you just made.
After this, you might decide to keep the 'junk' you have renovated.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Andy,

Thanks for the post, I have just posted a seemingly generic "which bike" post, then read yours, amongst others, I have been recommended a Cyclocross bike for 18 mile (one way) commute amongst the usual hybrid and road bike recommendations. You didnt include these in your post? Would they be an Audi or BMW?

My advice: If you're buying your first bike, take along an experienced cycling friend - possibly one who already buys from the LBS you're going to. And IMO, if you can't get a test ride, walk away.

dobbin33ch

get original bearings and parts

my advise to new bikers who want to fix everythiung themselfs is to shop around really well on the web ,i just found that ritchey have a new website selling onl spare parts ,and these are parts that are normally hard to find ,i just finally fixed a ritchey protocol wheelset by getting the original free hub and bearings direct from ritchey ,check it out ritchey.ch

HI there,
My first post on the boards here... Woo Hoo! Haha. I'm the only one laughing arn't I. Anyway...

Great thread Andy. I jusy bought myself my firstbike for years from Halfords for commuting to and from work. Hopefully it will work out ok for me... Watch this space.

I'm off to introduce myself in the relevent thread now. See you soon.

Oliver

Top Bottom