My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
I advise all Clipless Newbies to check the tightness of the bolts connecting cleats to shoes weekly.
You would be amazed how easily they come undone over time.

john2755

I like this post, I did exactly what you suggest at the start. Retired since April need to keep fit, don't need the car to get me anywhere in seconds. I have a Marin Bear Valley mountain bike in the garage, 19 years old no suspension but great quality product. I thought I would be a sedate old road cyclist. Big mistake as I soon found all the trails, hills and off road delights to be conquered in my part of the world that will happily keep me comming home covered in crap and sweat for years to come.
As for hybrids. As a lifelong member of the retail industry I understand that the first priority of a retail business is to make money, period. This can often be achieved by "marketing" A clever way of doing this is to invent a word and then persuade the world they need it, hence "hybrid" In my limited experience the majority of people who ride these things spend most of their time worrying about getting their expensive designer outdoor clothing dirty. Ok this might be slightly over the top but I think you'll agree with the general sentiment.
Great post Andy.

k8srd

Thanks andy. As a newbie helped me decide a hybrid the best place to start for me.

Great thread

stevie4

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and after having yet another bike stolen (8 in total in the last 8 years) thought it was time to ask some advice from other cyclists on how to keep my bike safe. What type of lock should I be buying (last one was Gold standard Master lock which they easily cut through like butter)?

Also I have a set of brand new ALex Rims DA16 wheels to sell (never used) and I was wondering what sort of price I should be asking for them?

Many thanks for any helpful suggestions

Exequine

Thanks for the sugestions

After a horse riding accident, my physio suggested cycling as good rehab followng 2 broken ankles. I haven't cycled since I was a kid and have never chosen a bike for myself. I read through this thread and some others on this forum this morning and wanted to thank all the contributors as it's been very helpful.

I was originally heading to Halfords but after popping in there during the week and being completely ignored for at least 15 minutes (even though I wandered around, squeezing brake levers, poking at saddles and reading labels - not a clue lol!) I had second thoughts. These doubts were compounded by the Watchdog programme on flatpacks.

I worked through the types of bikes at the start of this post and decided I probably wanted a hybrid. I live too far from work and along dangerous roads so proper commuting by bike is not an option for the foreseeable future - wobbly and unfit = danger to motorists. I live near a country park with reasonable cycle tracks and would cycle around there, getting to and from there on roads, and might also want to cycle along the canal towpaths; hence hybrid. As my work has just signed up to the cycle purchase scheme, I decided to spend more than I otherwise would have done. Taking the suggestions in this thread on board I headed to my local LBS (if I remember right this is my local bike shop). The guys there couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful.

I'm now excited to be waiting for my new bike to be ready and looking forward to being able to join in more of the discussions.

I picked a Specialized Ariel Sport Women's 2010, thanks again.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

Hi exequine and welcome to the forum.

I am delighted that you found the thread of some use and chuffed that you found time to post. Dont forget any questions just post on beginners you'll get a great response.

enjoy your bike

andy

Scousechick

Hi everyone,
I've just signed up for the Macmillan Cancer Support cycle challenge from London to Paris in July 2010. I'm 35 and haven't been on a bike since I was 10 (apart from the ones bolted to the floor in the gym). I've started getting advice and am looking at buying a bike in early January, joining a local women's cycling club and then starting my training plan.

I look forward to picking up tips and suggestions from anyone and anywhere on this site.

Diane

sagefly

Veteran
G'day

Hi all, I took up cycling last year to lose a bit of weight and get a bit fit and was eventually doing about 100 miles a week until a scumbag nicked my bike.

This thread has been really useful in helping to decide on a replacement. I hope that through time I'll be able to provide the same level of help to others on here.

One thing is there any "real" difference between the top model bikes of similar spec, or is it down to personal feel of the bike?

Many thanks

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

hi fly,

welcome, i guess all bikes come down to preference. But as a general rule, similar style, similar bike usually means similar kit. You tend to get less for your money with the big brands.

andy

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
andyfromotley said:
So what have you got?
First things first, i'm fairly sure that most people on here have, in a deep dark corner of the garage 'an old bike'. Well thats good, drag it out hose it off and assess the beast. Put some air in the tyres (i KNOW that theyre flat!). My guess is that this bike will do 90% of people who are getting back into cycling, at least for the first couple of months. If it has been in there, unused for a good while, say 4 years plus treat it to a service at your local bike shop (LBS). This should cost you about £60. Use it, enjoy it and if you are lucky you will have no need of new bikes.
If however there is no 'old bike' in the garage or it is completely inappropriate or unsafe then read on.
I remember seeing this excellent thread in 2008 when I returned to cycling and I went for the "So what have you got?" option. Over 18 months on and I'm still riding my old (1977) Carlton and in no hurry to move up (yet).
Thanks.

Top Bottom