My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michael

hi there
i'm a new member of this site
i will be trying to complete the JOGLE task this summer, and was curious to see if anyone had any advice for me
it would be a great achievement to do it before my 17th birthday
many thanks

spinkung

Hey all,

Can someone be so kind as to post some info on bike maintenance???

I really enjoyed reading this post (especially as it seems my first bike is a ferrari) but i now have a ferrari that i don't want to turn into an old banger.

I'm not looking to become a mechanical genius (yet), i just want some advice on things i can self service, how often (and how) and things i should get done at my LBS and how often??

I guess most of this will be as an when required but are there things i should be doing regularly??

Thanks. Spin. :tongue:

smokie36

Hi,

first post here so bear with me...(and apologies for the longish post)

Pretty good initial advice in this thread but I'm still a bit confused. I think probably stems from different people using different definitions.

I've got a 4/5 year old Saracen 'comfort bike'. Basically a mountain bike with less knobbly tyres, front suspension and suspension on the saddle. Brilliant bike for taking the kids down cycle paths, tow paths etc. And I want to keep it. But its a bit heavy and slow on the road - on the flat I can get it up to maybe 15mph but thats about it. As I've been bitten by the cycling bug this year and want to go on longer rides and generally build up my fitness I want to get another bike that's more appropriate.

Living in the Bristol area there are a few LBS and I've visited some. What I want is a bike which will handle itself well on the road and more importantly allow me to keep up a decent pace on longer rides (looking to do the round the IoW ride in a couple of weeks and then aim to go on 20/30 mile rides regularly), with a budget of £400. One LBS told me to just spend the £400 getting new wheels, gears etc on my Saracen, one suggested a racing bike with drop handles and another is adamant I want a hybrid...so I'm at a bit of a loss!

I've now got a 'Giant' catalogue and quite frankly thats left me even more confused - they have Road bikes (Competition, Performance, Fitness*), Lifestyle bikes (Communting*, Comfort) and Hybrids (which seem to be some kind of electric-bike?). My feeling is that I want one of the two I've asterixed but to be honest I'm not 100% sure. Get the right one and I'll probably end up a cycling nut. Get the wrong one and I'll go on it for a couple of weeks and then give up.

smokie36 said:
Hi,

first post here so bear with me...(and apologies for the longish post)

Hi mate, welcome to CC...:laugh:

smokie36 said:
As I've been bitten by the cycling bug this year and want to go on longer rides and generally build up my fitness I want to get another bike that's more appropriate.

This bit says 'roadbike' to me - many others will disagree....

smokie36 said:
I've now got a 'Giant' catalogue...../...Get the right one and I'll probably end up a cycling nut. Get the wrong one and I'll go on it for a couple of weeks and then give up.

Many others available tho'.....and getting the right bike will allow many makes to satisfy these needs....

My advice would be definately to test ride some from local LBS's, you'll build up a personal relationship which might last a long while, and guage what bike will suit you.

If you've been on you current bike for a while, and are looking to get a bit more serious, I think you've already got the bug.......take a test ride or 2, then come back and tell us what you think...:biggrin:

neil68

First time caller and was really pleased to see this thread straight away!

Basically, I'm a lazy buyer and would be quite content to pop down to Halfords and pay the £159.99 for the Glide

I could stretch my pennies to about £250 really, but am always tempted byt something that is half price. I am after a mountain bike, but will mainly using it on roads.

smokie36

stoatsngroats said:
Hi mate, welcome to CC...:biggrin:

This bit says 'roadbike' to me - many others will disagree....

Many others available tho'.....and getting the right bike will allow many makes to satisfy these needs....

My advice would be definately to test ride some from local LBS's, you'll build up a personal relationship which might last a long while, and guage what bike will suit you.

If you've been on you current bike for a while, and are looking to get a bit more serious, I think you've already got the bug.......take a test ride or 2, then come back and tell us what you think...:biggrin:

I tried a few bikes down at the local Evans - initially preferred the hybrids as I found the road bikes a bit too 'twitchy'. Left it for a while and popped into hal**rds and tried a gryphon (flat bar road bike). Loved it and ended up buying it. It got me round the IoW at the weekend so its done the first job I wanted it for!

I know that it won't last me a lifetime but it should do for a couple of years until I get a better understanding of just how I'm going to use the bike and I can save up for something better.

kelv61

Hi all
first timer here. I dont need any advice on what bike, or what what clothing. In 3 weeks from today, a mate and me are doing LEJOG. AND WE CANT BLOODY WAIT.
So if anyone has done or is thinking about doing it, I'd like to here from ya.

fitzgerald19

thank you for your advice!:smile:

edwina pentelow

I went to my local bike shop and like you said they were really helpful didnt try to flog the most expensive bike and did ask lots of questions. They were great.
Richardsons of Leigh on sea Essex. Really nice guys. No connection.
Got a great bike just love it.
not an essex lady.
Irish

Helly79

great explaination of the types of bikes available and it made me laugh that you use types of cars to describe them, very good ;) as I am in the process of getting a new bike through C2W scheme.

Top Bottom